UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: dcarper Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 24925  
Subject: Re: New to me and you? Date: 2/26/2001 8:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Ok, I am not a scientist by trade but I do know the dif between MICRO and MACRO evolution.

The first part of your statement is proven by the second part. I have never heard a scientist refer to Micro or Macro evolution.

There is absolutly no credible evidence to support Macro evolution-the complete changing of one species into a tofaly different one.

Here you are correct. There is no evidence of a species changing into a totally different one. There is however much evidence of species evolving into similar but different species.

By the way, anybody see on PBS recently when they discused finding bones of man that seems to point that modern man came from Central and Southern Africa and NOT from Neanderthals in France? But some people WONT accept the evidence.

Actually, the findings cast doubt onto the accuracy of earlier assumptions regarding Neandertals. The whole issue is rather cloudy, and has certainly not been resolved in either direction (or any other direction for that matter). Else where on the board I posted a link to a Scientific American article that casts doubt on the doubt.

Not exactly. Evolution would demand that ALL the descendants of this cat have 6 toes.

Not exactly. Evolution would occur if the mutation were beneficial, causing the cats with the mutation to survive or reproduce more effectivly that the cats without the mutation. Eventually, the non-mutated would diminish in number, perhaps even vanishing, but there could still be some non-mutated descendents from the original mutated cat.

So carbon dating bones that have been exposed to the elements and dirt for centuries would produce more accurate results?

This is why carbon dating is done with samples from the interior of the bone. With a cloth, this is not possible.

I agree that there are problems with carbon dating especialy when you can get multiple dates from the same item. Dates that vary that widly prove that the system of carbon dating is far less than an acceptable scientific test method.

Just because carbon dating does not produce exactly one totally precise number does not mean that it is not useful. Imagine this scenario: you are abandoned in the desert. You are told that there is refuge in the closest mountain. You can see two mountains, one to the left, one to the right. You have no way of knowing the distance, other than what you can observe with your own eyes.
If you can tell that one is closer, do you consider this useful information? Perhaps it is obvious that one is closer, but do you know how far away it is? No. Do you know how much closer it is? Not really. Does this information help you? Yes.
So measurements can be helpful, even if the precission is not perfect.

and evolution is a religious belief.

No. Evolution is a scientific theory. It is not a religious belief, and in the view of many people, does not contradict most religious beliefs.

David

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement