Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: squark One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8764  
Subject: Re: CERTAIN TO BE OF GREAT VALUE Date: 9/17/2000 10:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 67
OK, I went to Gildertech site. Here's what I find:

The scarcity that unlocks this abundance is the supreme scarcity in physical science: the absolute minimum time it takes to form an electromagnetic wave of a particular length. Set by the permeability of free space, this minimal span determines the speed of light.

What on earth does this mean??? "Permeability of free space" sets absolutely nothing because it's not a property of free space, but rather a proportionality constant that you can set equal to anything you want, depending on what units you are using. I usually set it equal to one, for simplicity.

Another word for oscillation is temperature.

Give me a break. Oscillation is oscillation. Temperature is the average kinetic energy of the stuff you are talking about.

Maxwell's genius was to realize that all waves are mathematically identical.

This is complete nonsense. I can write down a dozen different wave equations in no time at all, all of them representing different physical waves.

... shrieking gamma rays that can penetrate a planet ...

Shrieking gamma rays have no chance of "penetrating a planet". Shrieking gamma rays turn into electromagnetic showers (consisting of electrons, positrons, and photons) within the first radiation length of the stuff they are trying to penetrate.

... Stephen Weinberg's grand unification ...

I know Steve Weinberg and his work. There is no such thing as Steve Weinberg's grand unification - essentially all of his work is on electroweak theory.

And woven uniquely into the warp of nature was the resonating speed of light.

What the hell is "resonating speed of light"???

Frequencies and wavelengths may change, but light speed delay -- the time it takes to propagate an electromagnetic wave -- never changes.

Give me a break. And what the hell is "light speed delay" anyway???

All of this, and more, on just one page. Now, this guy is supposed to be some kind of guru, right? Some people actually take him seriously, right? Honestly, folks - I just don't know whether to laugh or cry.

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS."

hem
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Back to the Future Buffalo Wild Wings
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement