Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 5
OK - let's separate two things - getting a 1099 and it being taxable income. Just because she gets a 1099 doesn't mean the income is taxable. In fact, she probably WILL get a 1099 even if it's NOT taxable.

It is not necessary for her to file bankruptcy to make any Cancellation of Debt (or COD) income not taxable. She can use the provisions of the tax code in the link Phil gave.

On the other hand she may need to file bankruptcy for other reasons. So I'm not saying BK is wrong for her - just that it's wrong for the purpose stated: to avoid having taxable income from the cancellation of debt.

In addition to a good BK attorney, she also needs a good tax professional, at least for this year.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.