Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 70  
Subject: Ok. Oh, boy. Date: 11/29/2011 7:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Strange how things happen.

As I was watching TV last night just a few minutes after 9:00 PM, my doorbell rang. I ignored it as I wasn't expecting anyone and since frequently visitors to my building's neighbors ring the wrong bell. After a long minute, it rang again. I wondered about it, then finally decided to check. I went downstairs to see who it was.

He was back.

The boy was tired, hungry, and also grimy. His hair was in a dark-red mohawk, though hair growing back in the scalp areas. Wearing a black tank top and a red skinny jeans from Hot Topic. He had been on a bus since the day after Thanksgiving to get back here. No bag, just the clothes on his back and a pair of (comfortable) black Air Walks. The last thing he had to eat was a bagel that a woman on the bus had given him. Yesterday. No money, he spent about $280 for the bus ticket to get here.

The boy says that he has a place to stay this time, but the friend needs a day to prepare. I hope he stays with the friend and he doesn't drive the friend nuts. He's got a cell phone, but service needs to be reconnected. He had once worked at a little place earning money by tips only, doing cleaning at a retail service place.

Made him a couple of sandwiches, gave him some soda (from instant dry mix that I'm glad I still had). We sat and talked a bit. Then he took a shower.

When we started to settle for bed, my current on-again, off-again roommate came home unexpectedly. I got him at the door, hoping he wouldn't become volatile. He was okay and contained, but was tense for a bit. The boy was also tense as it made things both awkward and potentially unstable. Fortunately for me, roommate is the controlled type. After the first hour, things loosened up.

For a change, he was able to sleep easily last night. Usually he will be up all night so his fatigue set in. Glad that I had some clean bedding.

God help me if I take him back for more than a night.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Berkshire Beyond Buffett Event
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement