Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Ok, so I procrastinated long enough that my 62nd birthday has passed....like a month ago. Any problem with signing up for early SS after your eligibility date? I also researched the whole thing on the internet and was told I needed a birth certificate (which I trucked in from the safety deposit box)and then dragged my feet not wanting to send the original of my BC any place and in particular not to any government agency. Now I'm hearing (from my brother-in-law) that you can do the whole thing over the phone with no documentation. So, why didn't they say that on their web site?? Anybody know whether or not you can still apply if you missed the deadline to apply for early SS?

----------------

As I understand it, you can apply any time after you are 62.
The longer you wait, the more money you will get.

AM
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement