Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Before I had heard about the arsenic in rice story, I had bought a brand new national brand of brown rice. Today, I planned on making a dish in which I traditionally use rice. I had already decided to substitute bulghar or cous cous but went to throw away the rice since I was thinking about it. I had already opened the bag and cooked some last month. I had stored my bag of rice inside a large plastic screw top old rice container of my usual brand, just twisting down the open end of the bag so it was fairly sealed. I had rinsed and dried the container before storing the bag. So, I went to open the container today, and out flew several small moths - probably 5 to 6. I was really surprised, to say the least, but I managed to kill them all as they were pretty sluggish and flying poorly. And then I realized that they must have been IN the bag of rice we had eaten in their larval form. EEEWWWWW! I had never bought this brand before but they had been out of my usual brand. Now I'm doubly against eating any rice, at least for a while.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Unappetizing as it may sound, I suspect humans have systems that can deal with such situations. If not, we probably would not have survived.

It also reminds you of all the critters in our food that are too small to see with the naked eye.

Nature has powerful defenses that work remarkably well most of the time.
Boiled moth eggs are likely to be safe. Didn't you notice the extra crunch?
And then I realized that they must have been IN the bag of rice we had eaten in their larval form. EEEWWWWW!

I've read several times that a lot of flour, rice, pasta, cereal, grains etc. contain various types of "critters" in their larval form -- we just don't notice it.

Christina
No. of Recommendations: 3
I've read several times that a lot of flour, rice, pasta, cereal, grains etc. contain various types of "critters" in their larval form

Maybe that's what they mean by "protein-enriched"

I'm reminded of a Lily Tomlin riff. "I've been all over town looking for a can of rat hairs and animal impurities. Every one had tuna fish in it."

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
No. of Recommendations: 3
Even the FDA says that any food can have a certain % of bug body parts. The moths won't kill you or harm you. And I think the washing that you give your rice should have dealt with this anyhow (I wash mine 3-5 times until water is clear and all debris floats away). Aside from the "ewwwwww" factor this isn't harmful.
i know this can happen with flour, oatmeal, all grains really.

If we buy a large quantity, it usually spends a week in the freezer before going into the cupboard, in order to kill any eggs in the grain.

peace & protein sources
t
Many natural non-heat treated products like grain, flour, beans, rice, etc. contain the eggs of insects. Upon storage in the home, over time, they can and do hatch and grow into adult insects. I have had insects hatch out in some unlikely natural products like crushed red pepper and dried beans. Now-a-daze, whenever I buy a new bag of rice, flour, or beans, it goes into the freezer for at least a week, usually more to kill off any insect eggs that it may contain. I also store my red pepper in the freezer along with my grits.

Recently, I found a package of flax seed that DW bought, used once and stored in a cupboard in the pantry that also contained boxes of crackers, instant oatmeal and breakfast cereal. Everything in that cupboard was alive with them pantry pests except the Morton’s “Tender Quick” cure and some citric acid that I also stored in there. Them bugs even ate into the sealed packages of Ritz & Keebler crackers and instant oatmeal, which I dumped outside for the birds & critters to eat.
;-(

C.J.V. - using "Pantry Pest Traps" (See; http://www.saferbrand.com/store/insect-control/b05140-2 ) to get the adults dat escaped, me
yes, that is gross and disturbing. I opened a brand new bag of all-purpose flour (when I ate gluten) and found what my family calls a 'flour bug' in it--near the flaps, so I suspect it entered from the outside of the package while on the store shelf.

I once say a mouse (or some type of rodent) scamper across the produce aisle with a walnut from the bulk nut section section and run out the side door. I stopped buying bulk nuts at that point.

I found a moth in an opened bag of unpopped popcorn kernels this year. I imagine I hadn't sealed it quite enough and it got in. I now keep my opened bags of popcorn kernels in the freezer (didn't know about it killing off larvae though--I put it there because I figured the sealed freezer door would keep out any unwanted visitors).

Oats are another place I found some 'guests'. That was really gross too.

I guess the only consolation is that most of these items are well-heated in preparation--either baked or boiled--and that should kill off anything unwanted.
Boxes of cereal can eventually offer "guests", if opened and unfinished! I remember one box that, when opened after some time, looked as if it had cobwebs in it! We tossed it out.

Vermonter
We inspect all grains and beans before using.
Advertisement