OK, wait, I seem not to have made myself clear...There are 2 (potential) Roths here.A converted Roth that I could still recharacterize before 4/15. Leaving this 8.2 account converted is going to cost me about 2.8k in taxes (28% plus lost educational credits.A contributory Roth that already exists but to which I have not made my Y2K contribution. To make the contribution by 4/15 (actually 4/16 this year...) and come up with the $$$ to pay the tax on the conversion, I would have to take a $2k loan against my 403b. I could then always yank the $$$ back out of the contributory Roth to pay off the loan -- though this would be silly, it is possible, if, for example, an unanticipated medical emergency prevented me from completing the extra projects I am taking on at work that will increase my salary this summer (see original post).I do understand that the money I pay back to the 403b is taxed.I also understand that I cannot access the funds in the converted Roth for 5 years.I cannot convert part of the Roth next year or for the foreseeable future, because our AGI appears likely to exceed the $100k limit for conversions.Anyway, more thoughts appreciated...HB
Best Of |
Favorites & Replies |
Start a New Board |
My Fool |
BATS data provided in real-time. NYSE, NASDAQ and NYSEMKT data delayed 15 minutes.
Real-Time prices provided by BATS. Market data provided by Interactive Data.
Company fundamental data provided by Morningstar<