UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BruceCM Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76082  
Subject: Re: 403 v 457 Date: 3/21/2011 2:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Okay, I'm not sure I understand everything, but this is what I think you're saying: Since we both have IRAs at Vanguard, we can contribute to those and not worry about the 403 or 457. However, since our IRAs are Roths, eventhough we have full control over them, we're not getting the tax benefit (yearly deductions for investment) that we would get with traditional IRAs.

Yes.
With a Roth, you're betting that your marginal tax rate in retirement will be at least what it is now. Also, with a Roth you are NOT required to begin minimum distributions at age 70.5. This would be an important factor to someone who has a lot saved for retirement and/or a generous pension + Social Security and feels they may not need to make withdrawals and would rather use their Roth as a savings plan for an inheritance to their children/grandchildren. But if you need the tax break now, the deductible traditional IRA would likely be a better choice.

My understanding, also, is that the 401a as I see it on the website, is the only thing with money in it right now, and until I talk to his HR person, I can assume that his employer is investing into that account right now, and that since it's at Fidelity, we should be able to move it from 'short term funds' to some sort of index fund or whatever, but it really doesn't matter which plan it is in at this point. However, we would want to move it into a better fund.

Sounds like a plan.
As the previous poster pointed out, allocating between a Fido low cost bond fund and equity fund...or even to chose a target date fund (the 'Freedom' funds) corresponding with your reirement date, might be a good choice. And hopefully this employer provided "401(a)" plan is not within a "tax sheltered annuity' wrapper...which if it is, will typically add another 1% in expenses each year, which would essentially rob you of about 15% or so of your future investment earnings (1% out of an average of 7% investment return). But since your husband is not paying into this, what it is is what it is.

So, I'm guessing that I just need to figure out,
1. Does the university invest in any of these available plans?
2. Do they match more or less for one plan or the other?
3. Are all of these funds available to all the plans?
4. (Anything I'm missing?)

I assume you're speaking of contributing to a 403(b)? If so, and if there is not employer matching, I think I'd stick with maxing out contributions to deductible TIRAs. If there is a matech, I think I'd only contribute to the 403(b) to the extent of the match.

And then I pretty much have to decide which plan to 'enroll' in, so I can change the fund, but it may not make that much of a difference because anything we have we invest in our Roths, *unless* I find out that the university matches, and then we should be investing in there first. (Have I got that all right?)

Yep.

Thanks so much for your input. (And for your good wishes about my FIL. We're not out of the woods, but very relieved.) :)

Caat

Glad to offer assistance :-)

BruceM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement