Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Renegadecj Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Old California state tax lien issue Date: 8/7/2012 9:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
A friend of mine is trying to refinance, and an old tax lien on his wife from the state of California from 1992 and 1994 (for a total of $1400) is showing up on her credit. This was from before they were married, and no attempt to collect has ever happened. California seized her accts back then, but that was the end of it (or so she thought). The refinancing company wants a document showing the liens were paid, but California doesn't even have those old dockets anymore.

Is there any way to clear something like this up? California doesn't show she owes anything...no records that old, but it is still on the credit report?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116510 of 121219
Subject: Re: Old California state tax lien issue Date: 8/7/2012 10:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
A friend of mine is trying to refinance, and an old tax lien on his wife from the state of California from 1992 and 1994 (for a total of $1400) is showing up on her credit. This was from before they were married, and no attempt to collect has ever happened. California seized her accts back then, but that was the end of it (or so she thought). The refinancing company wants a document showing the liens were paid, but California doesn't even have those old dockets anymore.

Is there any way to clear something like this up? California doesn't show she owes anything...no records that old, but it is still on the credit report?

It's not clear what the problem is--clean title or her credit rating. In either case she needs a clearing document from the CA agency involved (Franchise Tax Board if it's income tax). That will take care of a title problem.

If the problem is her credit, after getting the documentation that needs to be used to correct her credit report. This falls on her. The general practice is that the reporting services rely on the public records, not direct communication from taxing authorities.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: Renegadecj Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116511 of 121219
Subject: Re: Old California state tax lien issue Date: 8/7/2012 12:32 PM
Recommendations: 0
Thanks Phil. Clear title is what is needed. They just didn't know who to call. I'll have them contact the franchise board.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement