UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: baconman Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75802  
Subject: Old IRA confirmation documents Date: 8/27/2000 10:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Once a year I evaluate the stocks in my IRA which at times requires that I trim the deadwood out and buy new.
Over the years I have kept all the confimation doucments of the the purchase and sales of each stock.
Since this is an IRA, is there any purpose to keeping all these documents or should I just dispose of them?

Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24395 of 75802
Subject: Re: Old IRA confirmation documents Date: 8/28/2000 2:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Over the years I have kept all the confimation doucments of the the purchase and sales of each stock.
Since this is an IRA, is there any purpose to keeping all these documents or should I just dispose of them?

Well, you could develop cracks in your bathroom wall, but for tax purposes you don't need them. Once they've served their purpose you can pitch them.

Just so we don't get carried away here, I do recommend that you always keep something that shows your holdings, but you don't need that for tax purposes, you need it for asset protection. For tax purposes all you need is a confirmed record of your contributions and your basis, if you've made nondeductible contributions to a traditional IRA.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Author: Ringfinger Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24400 of 75802
Subject: Re: Old IRA confirmation documents Date: 8/28/2000 11:00 AM
Man, I have a lot of cracks I could patch. Now I have an idea on what to patch with. Thanks.

Author: richbird One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24434 of 75802
Subject: Re: Old IRA confirmation documents Date: 8/29/2000 2:25 AM
This is great news for me too. I'm glad that someone asked that question.

I've got boxes (and boxes) of IRA paperwork in my basement because I thought I had to keep all that stuff until I retired.

Whew! What a relief.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement