UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 37032  
Subject: old photos...boxes of them Date: 11/11/2012 2:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I need help in how to cull and sort and store.

Anyone done this before?

I've heard of companies where you send off your photos and they scan and make albums.

appreciate any help.

LD
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35973 of 37032
Subject: Re: old photos...boxes of them Date: 11/11/2012 6:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
last weekend i went through a full file box of pictures & negatives and threw away all but about 40.

here is a link to someone else's experience with a scanning company...

peace & pics
t

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35974 of 37032
Subject: Re: old photos...boxes of them Date: 11/11/2012 6:38 PM
Recommendations: 1
Aaaaargh!! You threw away negatives???? Ouch.

Author: CassWoman Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35975 of 37032
Subject: Re: old photos...boxes of them Date: 11/12/2012 12:21 AM
Recommendations: 1
Aaaaargh!! You threw away negatives???? Ouch.

I've thrown away tons and tons of negatives, figuring that 1) I probably already had the photo associated with it, and 2) if I didn't have the photo I hadn't missed the picture, so I'd probably never need it.

But I'm slowly scanning all my photos into the computer, so the negatives are not as necessary these days.

Cassandra

Author: yeilBagheera Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35976 of 37032
Subject: Re: old photos...boxes of them Date: 11/12/2012 2:15 AM
Recommendations: 3
The part I try to focus on is the part that I can do: store in good safe containers (not in attic nor cellar, using archival envelopes)
write names, places, dates (whatever I remember now is good to write down, it will not be any easier later).

I love annotated photos, so think that albums are the way to go.
My husband has been making photo pages for digital images (with captions).

We did have our slides scanned by a company in Missouri I think.

No, I don't keep the negatives (most of them got separated from the prints a long time ago).

Yes, there are many photos that I discard - scenery from my first cameras is not interesting nor beautiful, sometimes pictures from an event are very repetitious.

One of the wonderful things my uncle did when he moved out of his house and downsized was to send back the pictures my parents had sent him - that is, when I was young, photos got sent to relatives and it was neat to know he had kept them for decades. There were pictures I had not seen.

YeilB

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35983 of 37032
Subject: Re: old photos...boxes of them Date: 11/12/2012 11:28 PM
"But I'm slowly scanning all my photos into the computer, so the negatives are not as necessary these days."

I used to process all my own black and white film, and still have virtually every B&W (as well as color which I did not process) film negative I've ever shot; that collection dates back to when I was in 7th grade and got my first "real" camera. My uncle gave me his old Kodak Retina with a leaf shutter and German Schneider Kreuznach lens. The image quality from that camera is amazing.

While I may digitize them all once I retire, I'll never discard the negatives.

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35987 of 37032
Subject: Re: old photos...boxes of them Date: 11/13/2012 3:18 PM
here is a link to someone else's experience with a scanning company...

And that link is where?

peace & invisible

MOI

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement