Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
So our city charged me the wrong amount in property taxes in 2001. (They charged me as if we were absentee landlords). I fixed it (eventually, don't remember when), but was told there was no reversing the old overpayment.

For some reason, the city's policy has changed, because I received a refund check for the difference for fiscal year 2001.

What are the tax consequences of this? Do I refile my 2001 taxes, or credit the amount recieved this year against the amount paid this year? (I assume that I divide it among rental and personal use the same way I did the original payment in 2001?)

- Megan
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.