Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Snowtrill Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121144  
Subject: Old State Taxes Date: 6/14/2001 11:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have an old situation that I am not sure if it going to be worth trying to fix or just paying it and getting on with life.

Additionally, if I can fix it, suggestions on where to start would be greatly appreciated.

In May 1993 I moved from California to Texas. California has state taxes, Texas does not.

I had not filed my 1992 taxes by the time I left and lost all of the paperwork. I didn't file in California for 1993 since I had not lived the state for more than 6 months out of the year.

Since then, I filed my federal for 1992 and took what they estimated for 1993 because the business I have worked for in California had gone out of business and I never got a W-2 for that year. I hadn't kept my last paystub either.

I eventually got the federal taxes paid and am close to paranoid about getting things filed on time now.

About three years ago I started the process of cleaning up my credit and found a judgement from the state of California for $1500.00 in taxes, penalties etc.

First of all, I never got a notice that this was being sent to judgment, but I am not sure it would have made a difference. I am sure they estimated me as single with no dependents when the previous 4 years I had filed as head of household and had ALWAYS gotten a refund.

I have recently found the paperwork for 1992 again, is it too late to file a return for that year? I can't file one for 1993 but I shouldn't owe anything since I was only in the state for 4 ½ months that year. How would I address this and let the state know.

I have heard absolute horror stories about dealing with the state of California and taxes so I wasn't sure if it wouldn't be best to just pay it and go on with life. However, that being said, I am not even sure how to go about paying the judgement and making sure it shows paid on my report. I understand it will be on my credit report for 7 years after I pay the judgement.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Trill
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFJeanie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51840 of 121144
Subject: Re: Old State Taxes Date: 6/15/2001 2:59 PM
Recommendations: 0
I have heard absolute horror stories about dealing with the state of California and taxes so I wasn't sure if it wouldn't be best to just pay it and go on with life.

Horror stories abound for New Yorkers, also. We've had friends retire and move to Florida and NH (both non-taxed states) and have heard that NY hounds them for a couple years to prove they no longer receive their income from the Empirical State.

We moved from NY to MA early in a new year (1995) and had a tax accountant prepare our two state returns that year. As I recall, we had to declare the exact number of days we still lived in NY and then have the tax obligation prorated to each state.

I've no idea how to go about fixing a problem this many years after the fact, but starting with advice from a tax pro would be a good idea.

Good luck,

Jeanie

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement