UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mneakrase Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 56  
Subject: Olympians Date: 3/5/2002 4:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I was just wondering if anyone reading this board was an Olympian or knew someone that was.

My uncle was a Baseball Coach in the 1986 Olympics.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: cMozart Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44 of 56
Subject: Re: Olympians Date: 3/6/2002 2:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I was just wondering if anyone reading this board was an Olympian or knew someone that was.

I compete at the national level in fencing (summer Olympic sport) and have competed and trained with quite a few Olympians. To my credit, they don't always beat me.

I also have a friend who dated an Olympic track person - but he competed for Barbados, not the US.

I think there's a couple others I know as well. Noone "famous" except in certain small circles.

Celia

Author: mneakrase Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45 of 56
Subject: Re: Olympians Date: 3/7/2002 7:15 PM
Famous is a matter of perspective. Do you have Olympic dreams?

Author: cMozart Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46 of 56
Subject: Re: Olympians Date: 3/7/2002 9:48 PM
Recommendations: 1
Famous is a matter of perspective. Do you have Olympic dreams?

Not so much as a competitor anymore, its very difficult to make it to that level. The U.S. is particularly bad at fencing, so, we usually qualify about 1 person per event. That and I only have about 4 more years of real competitive ability left. While I'd love to compete at that level, realistically I won't make it. I do harbor dreams of finishing in the top 8 (finals) of a national competition, though.

On the other hand, we usually send several referees/directors and I'm working towards being a qualified referee. After all, its an opportunity to watch some of the world's greatest athletes from the first row.

That and I can be a referee for a *long* time.

Celia

Author: MechanicalMethod Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47 of 56
Subject: Re: Olympians Date: 4/1/2002 5:30 PM
How does one go about finding a mentor in the referee biz?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement