Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (67) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: GusSmed Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 22039  
Subject: Re: D700 at Adorama Date: 7/28/2008 2:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
On a 24x36 it can't be (that's only about 84 'dots' per inch).

What you're not realizing here is that film has a definite resolution limit as well, and it's a lot lower than you seem to believe it is. As measured on that site I linked, a very high quality film like Fuji Provia 100F has a 50% MTF of about 45 line pairs per millimeter.

In effect, this means that your 24 x 36 print of a really excellent film and lens combination is about 90 DPI, not much better than your example. Of course it's analog, so the results are blurry rather than jaggy, but the information content is the same. If blur looks better than hard edges between pixels, you can use a printing algorithm that softens the pixel edges.

This is also just pure resolution, and completely ignores the issue of grain, which is present in film, and absent in digital photography.

Can't say that I've ever seen an 8MP blow-up, so can't comment beyond noting that I've read a few times that ISO100 film is the equivalent of 30-40MP (I usually split the difference and quote 35).

Which is likely a number a film snob just pulled out of the air. 35 MP implies a sensor of about 7200 x 4800. That's far above the MTF of any lens you'll find for a 35mm camera. It doesn't matter if it's a film or digital body, any lens you might use will blur detail well above that point.

Now, if you were talking medium format, that'd be different.

- Gus
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (67) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Online Photos
Yahoo! Groups
(Registration Required)
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Netflix Riles Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement