UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: elove Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 266538  
Subject: On Line Trading Date: 11/27/1998 2:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What are the advantages/disadvantages, if any, of making trades on-line through e-trade or amrei-trade, etc. Secondly, which on-line trading company is the best one to go with.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Phoolish1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27942 of 266538
Subject: Re: On Line Trading Date: 11/27/1998 4:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
What are the advantages/disadvantages, if any, of making trades on-line through e-trade or amrei-trade, etc. Secondly, which on-line trading company is the best one to go with.

The biggest advantage is money. You will pay $7 to $24 per trade through discount brokers as opposed to $100 or more. (My brother-in-law recently made a trade through a full-service broker that cost him $500.) The disadvantage is you have to do your own research and take responsibility for your own decisions.

For discussion of specific brokers, visit the Discount Brokers message board. For rankings/evaluations, visit http://www.gomez.com.

Author: BobSch Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27946 of 266538
Subject: Re: On Line Trading Date: 11/27/1998 5:05 PM
The disadvantage is you have to do your own research and take responsibility for your own decisions.

I used to use a full-service broker until I realized that the only one REALLY interested in my success was ME!

You have to take responsibility for your decisions with a full-service broker just as much as with a discounter. An FSB won't refund your money if their sure-thing-of-the-week bombs.

Study up, do the nessesary research, make your own decisions and save a ton on money on commissions.

Bob

Author: Phoolish1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27968 of 266538
Subject: Re: On Line Trading Date: 11/27/1998 10:41 PM
I used to use a full-service broker until I realized that the only one REALLY interested in my success was ME!

You have to take responsibility for your decisions with a full-service broker just as much as with a discounter. An FSB won't refund your money if their sure-thing-of-the-week bombs.

Excellent point.

Author: herd Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27974 of 266538
Subject: Re: On Line Trading Date: 11/27/1998 11:11 PM
In addition to Phoolish1's excellent response, a disadvantage I discovered the hard way: on-line trading has unbelievably fast execution. If you commit to a trade and immediately see that you've made an error--- you are already 3 seconds too late to change it.

Ain't technology wonderful?!?

Foolish(and now extra careful)herd

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement