UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFSelena Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 150  
Subject: on parents Date: 3/18/2006 9:07 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Parents lend children their experience and a vicarious memory; children endow their parents with a vicarious immortality. -- George Santayana

Parents have subtle ways of humbling you, of reminding you of your origins, perhaps by showing up at the moment of your greatest glory and reminding you where you came from and demonstrating that you still have some of it between your toes. -- Frank Pittman

Parents don't make mistakes because they don't care, but because they care so deeply. -- T. Berry Brazelton

Parents teach in the toughest school in the word: The School for Making People. You are the board of education, the principal, the classroom teacher, and the janitor, all rolled into two. . . . There are few schools to train you for your job, and there is no general agreement on the curriculum. . . . You are on duty, or at least on call, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, for at least 18 years for each child you have. Besides that, you have to contend with an administration that has two leaders or bosses, whichever the case may be. -- Virginia Satir

Those who care for their parents will be cared for by their children. -- Chinese proverb.

Some parents were awful back then and are awful still. The process of raising you didn't turn them into grown-ups. Parents who were clearly imperfect can be helpful to you. As you were trying to grow up despite their fumbling efforts, you had to develop skills and tolerances other kids missed out on. Some of the strongest people I know grew up taking care of inept, invalid, or psychotic parents—but they know the parents weren't normal, healthy, or whole. -- Frank Pittman
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 137 of 150
Subject: Re: on parents Date: 3/18/2006 10:25 AM
Recommendations: 3
Those who care for their parents will be cared for by their children. -- Chinese proverb.

Guess they didn't take people like me (child-free) into consideration!!!

Christina

Author: TMFSelena Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 138 of 150
Subject: Re: on parents Date: 3/18/2006 11:33 AM
Recommendations: 0
<<Guess they didn't take people like me (child-free) into consideration!!!>>

Me too.

I hope my nieces don't have anything planned for their forty-something years... :)

Selena

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 139 of 150
Subject: Re: on parents Date: 3/18/2006 11:52 AM
Recommendations: 1
I hope my nieces don't have anything planned for their forty-something years... :)

Selena:

LOL!!!

I have 3 nephews - the oldest is 40 and the youngest was 35 yesterday. I have absolutely no thoughts that any of them would "take care of" me if the need should arise. (Maybe it's different with nieces?)

Christina

Author: phantomdiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 140 of 150
Subject: Re: on parents Date: 3/22/2006 8:57 AM
Recommendations: 2
This is my favorite:

Some parents were awful back then and are awful still. The process of raising you didn't turn them into grown-ups. Parents who were clearly imperfect can be helpful to you. As you were trying to grow up despite their fumbling efforts, you had to develop skills and tolerances other kids missed out on. Some of the strongest people I know grew up taking care of inept, invalid, or psychotic parents—but they know the parents weren't normal, healthy, or whole. -- Frank Pittman

You can probably figure out why. :-)

phantomdiver

Author: sunrayman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 141 of 150
Subject: Re: on parents Date: 5/3/2006 9:30 PM
Don't forget Mother's Day on the 14th of this month!

sunray
a man who bought cards today

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 142 of 150
Subject: Re: on parents Date: 11/8/2006 12:12 PM
This is my favorite:

You can probably figure out why. :-)

Indeed. Same reason it's my favorite too, I bet!

sheila
(who came upon this interchange a bit belatedly)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement