UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: havefunsaving Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 597  
Subject: Re: Flossary Guide (Suggestions for Newbies) Date: 11/2/2008 4:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
On the issues of Plurals and Capitals in words, I have taken to creating multiple redirects for my favorite terms.

This is one of the things that has bothered me about Touchstone, but I have not heretofore articulated it (I don't think).

Given that we want this to be utilized by a wide cross-section of the populace, wouldn't it make sense to make it as user-friendly as possible? I know that if I were an "outsider" using it, and I couldn't easily pull up what I wanted without being exactly right on my search term, I'd give up and go elsewhere.

Jeremy, is there some reason we (meaning you and the other tech developers) can't write the code so that it works sort of like a Google search? i.e., You enter whatever you can come up with, and the search engine starts narrowing it down to what you might really want.

The first place to go with that kind of thing is getting rid of the need to exactly match case and singular/plural. If I want to look up CDS, for instance, I should get the relevant page whether I type in CDS, cds, cd's, credit swap, Credit swap, Credit default Swap... you get the idea.

How big a deal is this to program? And more to the point, how big a deal is it to the general using public if we DON'T program it that way?

Conversely, is this something that we Flossers/Touchers/Stoners....Fools need to just keep doing by coming up with redirect pages in every possible flavor we can think of for each term -- which makes it seamless to the using public, but more labor-intensive behind the scenes? I would like to think there's some programming code that can do it more easily, but if not, that's something I could do with my limited time -- I could maybe just fit in creating the redirects for existing terms at odd times in my schedule.

Thanks for listening! You are so good at that and then coming up with solutions.

Best regards,
Kathie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement