UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: freethinkerkeywe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 41629  
Subject: On the longterm look for my charts. Date: 10/10/2005 5:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
mikeklein9 and Jim BMW and others interested:

After having charted over 20 charts this weekend with the new trick which allows me to add another 10 years of data, I've come to this conclusion:

Data does not go back for all companies to 1980. For instance I can see Alcoa's data back into 1989 but no farther. However, I can see the Dow's chart go all the way back to 1980. On the other hand, I can not get data for BUD, PFE or KO going any further back than 1990.

So, it seems the older data is there, for the most part, on indices like the Dow, the S&P500, and so on. Also, I've found a few stocks with the data going back into the 80s.

It's case by case. Bummer.

There's a guy named Brian from sitkapacific funds who uses stockcharts.com. Brian is the guy who taught me the newest trick to get an extra 10 years of data on the Dow. I asked him this weekend if he has any connections to Chip, the owner of stockcharts.com. I really would like to start a movement of us stockcharts.com users to get Chip to offer us more data on stocks.

The BMW method is a tool which is more valuable, in my mind, the longer the look. I like the fact that you guys can collect data and draw the charts on your own, either by hand or with a software. I can't do either using Japanese candlesticks. I mean, I could, but one Japanese candlestick chart going back 30 years would probably take me 2 weeks to draw by hand.

So, back to square one in my quest to find older Japanese candlestick charts.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jamesoid Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9374 of 41629
Subject: Re: On the longterm look for my charts. Date: 10/10/2005 6:33 PM
Would you care to share the trick for extending stock chart data?

Author: mklein9 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9375 of 41629
Subject: Re: On the longterm look for my charts. Date: 10/10/2005 6:48 PM
FreeThinker, I feel your pain :-). It is bizarrely difficult to get long term price histories, even if you're willing to pay for them. I don't know where BigCharts gets theirs but it's the best free data -- but they do not provide a way of pulling it down automatically or in bulk. Gebinr and divebomber (I believe) solved that by getting it one date at a time.

-Mike

Author: divebomber One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9378 of 41629
Subject: Re: On the longterm look for my charts. Date: 10/10/2005 7:24 PM
My spreadsheet uses data from moneycentral and yahoo. Spreadsheet gets 18 yrs of data for LEG, http://www.filespace.org/divebomber

AVG CAGR
14.30%

CUR CAGR
9.94%

RETURN FACTOR

RMS

Author: freethinkerkeywe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9383 of 41629
Subject: Re: On the longterm look for my charts. Date: 10/10/2005 7:50 PM
Recommendations: 3
Absolutely! Click on a chart for the Dow. Now where you define the data below the chart take the clicker and click Jan 1, 1990 and the end date to Dec. 31, 2005.

Update the chart.

You'll see 15 years of data.

Next thing, go up into the address bar of your browser.

You will see a very long address for any chart. But go into the address and find the part that reads 19900101 blah, blah, blah. Change the 90 in 1990 to 80. So it will read 19800101 blah blah blah.

You'll scoop ten years of extra candlestick or chart data using this trick. Brian from sitkapacific is the man who showed me this trick.

Good luck.

Author: freethinkerkeywe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9384 of 41629
Subject: Re: On the longterm look for my charts. Date: 10/10/2005 7:54 PM
Recommendations: 2
Mike, is there a way you can get your data in bulk? What I'm asking is there a service where you can link your computer to a server and have Excel spreadsheets loaded to your computer for all the stocks in the NYSE. Wait. That would take too much bandwidth.

What I'm getting at is how do we make your job simpler?

See, I can't get candlestick's drawn without a charting software already invented to go back with a proper data stream. There is none that I know of. (Although I'd love for someone to show me I'm wrong.)

Meanwhile, realizing how valuable your charts are, I'm wondering if the data for your input is an expense issue with you?

I for one would be happy to put some money into a pot to help defray expense for longer term data. I'm sure there are others out here who feel the same way.

Author: freethinkerkeywe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9385 of 41629
Subject: Re: On the longterm look for my charts. Date: 10/10/2005 7:58 PM
That's amazing. As you can see on my chart, stockcharts.com doesn't even go back to 1990 data for LEG. It stops in early 1994.

We need to find one great reliable source for the oldest data. I do like moneycentral's layout. I'm wondering if anyone has compared moneycentral to yahoo to bigcharts to morningstar to ad infinitum?

I know there are charts out there you can buy in paper form showing the entire history of the Dow or the NYSE. Where do we buy the data without the charts?

Author: ncfool2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9386 of 41629
Subject: Re: On the longterm look for my charts. Date: 10/10/2005 8:26 PM
Richard, what's wrong with bigcharts.com? Not enough flexibility? They have data going back a long way for most established companies' stocks.

BTW, thanks a bunch for sharing the great tip on adapting the stockcharts data!

Author: Fafar Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9387 of 41629
Subject: Re: On the longterm look for my charts. Date: 10/10/2005 8:26 PM
Hi Freethinker.....

I'm not sure if the site I use will give you everything you want, but it may be a start.

I use Prophet JavaCharts: http://www.prophet.net/analyze/javacharts.jsp
You have to scroll down a bit to get to the chart.

I can pull up a LEG candlestick chart of ALL data which goes back to 1983.

At first glance it doesn't look like candlesticks, but when you zoom in they show up. The magnifying glass down at the bottom of the chart zooms in on the latest data, but you can zoom on any piece of the chart by click/drag/release.

You can draw trendlines by shift/click/drag.

I know you can email a chart to someone as a .gif, but I don't know if you could post a link to one as you currently do with your charts.

Anyway, try it out. Hope it helps!

Fafar

Author: mklein9 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9388 of 41629
Subject: Re: On the longterm look for my charts. Date: 10/10/2005 8:33 PM
Recommendations: 1
Meanwhile, realizing how valuable your charts are, I'm wondering if the data for your input is an expense issue with you?

The expense is... ZERO! I download all of it, every week, from MSN MoneyCentral.

The only other data source with any kind of bulk download capability that's free is Yahoo, and it has data integrity problems.

There is NO other source I have ever found (except one) that has long term historical quotes, whether I want to pay or not. The one that does is CRSP, the Center for Research in Security Prices. Makes sense given that name. But they do not offer their product to individuals so even if I got a collection up it wouldn't help.

The only other choice is to get price data from various different sources (Yahoo, MSN, Fool.com, BigCharts) and integrate it all together myself. Big project, slow going, and significant ongoing maintenance.

-Mike

Author: freethinkerkeywe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9418 of 41629
Subject: Re: On the longterm look for my charts. Date: 10/12/2005 6:58 AM
Somehow, I missed your question, nc. I once used Bigcharts a long time ago. That was my first stop for free charting. I will go look at them again this coming weekend.

I'm looking for something which allows me to spread the chart over my computer screen for detailed work.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Author: freethinkerkeywe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9419 of 41629
Subject: Re: On the longterm look for my charts. Date: 10/12/2005 7:10 AM
Kathy, so it was you who offered up the prophetcharts? Thanks a million.

By the way, one of my dancers at work, in fact, she's now my oldest dancer, is about a 6 foot tall blonde from Kiev. She played on the Russian Volleyball team in the 80s Olympics in Moscow. She's in her 40s and has got the body of a 20 year old still.

Her stage name is Veronica. I call her Va Va Voom. She's the best. I know nothing about volleyball. She was a "striker" . . . is that correct? Maybe she said "spiker"? Her English is limited, but they don't come any sweeter. I've seen pictures of her in her CCCP volleyball uniform wearing a gold medal. She has never told any of us her real name as she doesn't want us to embarrass her team mates and country people (we've got hundreds of Russian guest workers in Key West who have no idea what Va Va's past is). She's a beaut. A real break the mold type of atheletic beauty. Makes me laugh to see her face cause she's always smiling a devilish smile. We have a good time playing practical jokes on everyone in the club.

Author: freethinkerkeywe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9420 of 41629
Subject: Re: On the longterm look for my charts. Date: 10/12/2005 7:12 AM
mike, thanks for all the replies. So, I tried moneycentral just a bit ago. How do you find the historical data on moneycentral? I'm missing something, but I am also tired as all.

Author: divebomber One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9421 of 41629
Subject: Re: On the longterm look for my charts. Date: 10/12/2005 8:44 AM
MSFT example
http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/charts/chartdl.asp?Symbol=msft

To get historical data on moneycentral:
- enter a stock ticker at moneycentral.msn.com
- hit the chart link on the left
- from the chart page, scroll to the bottom to set-up the historical date span and frequency
- hit the show table button at the bottom of the page to get the data in table format

Author: divebomber One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9422 of 41629
Subject: Re: On the longterm look for my charts. Date: 10/12/2005 8:49 AM
Also, my spreadsheet downloads the weekly price data from both moneycentral (split adjusted) and yahoo (split + dividend adjusted).

Data inside the price tab.

Author: Fafar Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9423 of 41629
Subject: Re: On the longterm look for my charts. Date: 10/12/2005 9:08 AM
Kathy, so it was you who offered up the prophetcharts? Thanks a million.

Yeah, it was me...hope it's what you were looking for.

Wow, I love volleyball but was never close to that level of play! As a matter of fact, I haven't played for a while because of knee trouble. I'm working on that though with the weightlifting. Good for the bones anyway...I've got 10 years on VaVa and have to counteract family tendencies towards osteoporosis. You don't get the same adrenalin pump as with v-ball though and I miss that! (I know, I know...that just means I'm not working out hard enough!! But it IS different!)

Over here, the term is Spiker, but who knows, maybe over In Russia it's Striker.

Fafar (Kathy)

Author: ExtendedEffort Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9446 of 41629
Subject: Re: On the longterm look for my charts. Date: 10/13/2005 4:18 PM
Recommendations: 1
divebomber,

Would you mind posting your spreadsheet? I too have a spreadsheet that pretty much draws Mike's charts but I have to manually copy the data from one spreadsheet to another after I do the MoneyCentral download. I'd be happy to share my spreadsheet once I get the download more automated.

Thanks,

LNT

Author: divebomber One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9468 of 41629
Subject: Re: On the longterm look for my charts. Date: 10/15/2005 11:35 PM
http://www.filespace.org/divebomber

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement