Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (102) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Rimbo Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 195090  
Subject: on the mormon/christian divide Date: 5/6/2001 8:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 11
This past week, Pope John Paul II did two things that no Pope has done in a thousand years.

The first thing he did was he went to Greece. There, he spoke with Orthodox high priests, and stunned them by asking for forgiveness for a millenium of bad feelings. One particular high-ranking Orthodox priest, who had opposed the Pope's visit, applauded.

The second thing he did was enter a mosque, and their asked for forgiveness and reconciliation between Christianity and Islam.

"For all the times that Muslims and Christians have offended one another, we need to seek forgiveness from the Almighty and to offer each other forgiveness," he said in his address to Muslim leaders, including the Grand Mufti of Syria. --from http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/meast/05/06/pope.syria.03/index.html

These two events happened within two, maybe three days of each other.

I've been a critic of the Pope (somewhat) and the Catholic church (a bit more) for a long time. *shrug* I can afford to be -- I'm a Protestant, after all.

But this time, the man did the right thing. And if you don't understand why, go back to Sunday School and re-learn what it means to be a Christian, because you didn't "get it."

Enmity between Christians and Mormons benefits NO ONE. It doesn't make you a better Christian to attack Mormons. It sure as you're born isn't going to turn Mormons into Christians. If you really want to focus on the problems of a religion, Christianity has a very long list of its own problems it has right now -- wouldn't you and I be better off focusing on those?

What the Pope did was right, and all of us would do well to follow his example. Mormons, Muslims, Christians, and Jews are all worshipping the same God. It's just stupid for us to fight among ourselves -- if we all work together, and if all of us focus on what God wants, and if all of us together, with one voice, ask God to show us the way, God will show us all the way. And maybe, just maybe, that way is different for different people. Isn't that a bit more sensible than ripping into each other?

This is one of the greatest times in History, but the rest of us need to wake up and follow John Paul Ringo George...heh, heh, sorry, couldn't help myself... follow the Pope's lead in this. If we don't, all of his efforts are vanity.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (102) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Feste Award Winner Announced!
Congrats to the Winner of the 2013 Feste Award!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement