UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: DollarIQ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5550  
Subject: Re: I won't be donating to Grameen again Date: 12/21/2000 2:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
On the whole 'thank you for your donation' marketing literature debate: I wonder, can't charities begin to make a relatively uniform option to allow people to "opt out" over receiving stuff, or at least excessive stuff?

For instance, if we do this via internet or in response to a flyer or whatever, it should have a little checkbox we can mark off to refuse receiving anything beyond an acknowledgement (yes, I know they'll send something anyway, but basically keep it to a minimum). They can keep the checkbox really obscure so only people who obviously don't want it will be determined enough to find it and check it off (think about those sweepstake forms in which you can opt out of their 'free' magazine offers, but still participate in the sweeptstakes).

I understand the heavy emphasis on marketing materials, the thank you stuff, etc., because they hope that a proven donor (no matter what the size of the donation) will pass the word around.... the best marketing effort is usually the person who's already donated. Unfortunately for their marketing efforts, many of us (at least here on TMF) are too savvy to be pursuaded to do more merely because we got a pretty (and big!) brochure or stuff to clutter our mailboxes.

I suspect this is a big beef common to regular donors around the country for a long time now, since I've been aware of this debate since even before I made my first contribution by mail, ever ... really, can't there be a way for charities to cut down if not eliminate their marketing efforts to established donors? In particular, the more savvy donors (if, in fact, it's the savvy donor they are looking for).

If the more sophisticated charitable organizations start this, I'm sure there will be a trickle down effect. Save money, effort, time, and not least, paper.

Just my thoughts once again, $IQ
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement