UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Dejaeeyore Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 20943  
Subject: Re: London and Ireland Date: 12/17/2004 7:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Once we get to Ireland we are flying into Dublin and out of Shannon. We are planning on spending 1 day in each and the rest of the time in between. We will probably stay in the Southern part of Ireland. I have seen some pretty good deals for small bed and breakfasts in this part of Ireland. Does anyone have any experience with the "voucher" program? You buy a set of vouchers good for 1 night at any participating B&B.

We just got back from 3 weeks in Ireland (Sept-Oct), and spent a good bit of time in the southern part.

Sights I would recommend:

Cahir Castle
Rock of Cashel
Newgrange
Tintern Abbey
Charlesfort
Cliffs of Moher (if the weather's good)
Aran Islands - Inishmor by ferry
Ring of Kerry
Dingle Peninsula
Powerscourt
Hook Head lighthouse
Kilkenny - and Kilkenny Castle
Wicklow Mountains and Sally Gap
Trim city and Trim Castle

There are a couple of B&Bs I can recommend too, if you're interested. We didn't use the voucher program, just found some places through websites and booked by email. I can find the websites if you're interested in those.

As far as B&Bs went, price-wise I think we averaged about 30 Euro per person per night. With five of you, you might get a better deal. Take advantage of the breakfast, because food there wasn't as cheap as we'd been led to believe by some of the guidebooks. Frommer's has their "$60 a Day" books, but I think they must have been written when the currency conversion was better. Even without adding the car rental, we weren't anywhere near $60/person/day most of the time.

Have you ever been to Ireland? It doesn't sound like it, so here are a couple of tips:

Pack warmer clothes than you think you'll need. I thought I'd packed too warm, until we got there. It was windier than I'd expected (I don't think the travel books mentioned the wind), so I was cold for most of the three weeks we were there. Oh, and be prepared for a lack of water pressure in the showers. I had one or two showers that felt like I was in a heavy fog. My husband had it a little better, since his hair is short, but long hair is a definite disadvantage.

Also, buy a road atlas when you get there, and taking a compass wouldn't be a bad idea. I wish I'd taken mine. Their idea of road signs isn't what we're used to, at least once you get off the main roads.

More to come as I read the rest of the thread.

Deja Eeyore
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement