UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (50) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35357  
Subject: Re: I Bonds Help Date: 9/25/2005 9:40 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
One big disadvantage for us is the inability to collect ongoing income from I-Bonds. With the amount we have saved, the likely absence (or tiny amount) of pensions, and who-knows-what with Social Security, we need all of our savings to provide income. For example, our $100,000 5-year CD ladder currently provides almost $5,000/year and 2, $20,000 10-year CDs provide $2,000, while $140,000 of I-Bonds would provide nothing until we cash them in--and then they'd be gone. *

Do I misunderstand, or are I-Bonds better for the wealthy (won't miss the current income), or for older people (doesn't mattter if they start using up their savings), or for poeple who are still working? I've been wondering about buying some I-Bonds to help with health care/insurance expenses in the future--too bad they don't have Health Care Bonds whose inflation portion gows to match the cost of health care!

* My goal is $1000/month in interest from cash (money market accounts and CDs--we're almost there), $1000/month in bond interest (we're there but I'm nervous about our corporate bonds), $1000/month in stock dividends (a couple hundred short here), and a flexible amount up to $1000/month in capital gains (from rebalancing asset allocations). Plus $2000/month in Social Security (if we get what we're due!). This is $60+/year for 2 people (who may have to buy our own health insurance, but even if not, it's lightly subsidized by DH's employer, a state college).
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (50) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement