Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: fietser Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 30671  
Subject: One day of carb-up and 6 of low-carb Date: 10/2/2002 4:17 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Is anyone here following the cyclical ketogenic diet?

I am advised to follow that one, since I will also do fitness (spinning) and a bit of weight lifting. This method is especially developed for weight lifters and body builders who don't want to lose power.
In the weekend you are supposed to stuff yourself silly with carbs that will replenish your glycogen in the muscles. A result would be that when the next workout comes around on Monday, you can explode and outperform.

I like the idea especially since it gives a pig-out day.. unfortunately, I will need to drop the amt of fat considerably on that day too, so ice-cream will still be a no-no :-(

Here are the stats. Me and a friend did all the calculations ourselves for the low-carb menu and thought up one.. but nobody has responded me until now... what's up???
Anyway, a useful calculator can be found on : http://www.users.voicenet.com/~petrizzi/fitness/ckdcalc.html

We devised a menu of 1900 kcal/day (I am 80kg heavy, translates in 176 lbs for you oldfashioned imperialists), while the calculator advises 2100 kcal/day. (11 versus 12 kcal/lbs wt or 24/26,5 kcal/kg wt).

We preferred to keep the protein to 1,7 gram/kg (136 g protein) while the calculator gave 2,0 g/kg (160 g protein) as a preference.
Our menuplan (see my earlier post on this) this became 135 gram protein (540 cal) and 145 gram fat (1305 cal).
Only a very small difference with the calculated amounts.
For the calculator this would have been 20 g carbs, 160g protein and 1900 - 80 (20x4) - 640 (160x4)=1180 kcal/9cal of fat = 131g of fat.

And now for the carb-up days. It is recommended to take 10 gram of carbs/kg of lean body mass. It is thus recommended to take 70% of energy from carbs, 15% from fat and 15% from proteins and a total of 33 cals/kg wt.
Then you arrive at 33x80=2640 kcal as a grand total.
Of which 0,15*2640=396 cal for fats and proteins.
This is:
396/9 = 44g fats
396/4 = 99g protein.
This means that you must eat practically fatfree proteins, like lean chicken and turkey, but you don't need to worry about the carbs now. But any time you take meat with carbs (breaded stuff) it is loaded with fat as well!

Leaving 0,7x2640=1848 kcal for the carbs
This is a whopping 1848/4=462 gram carbs!!!!
It will make you feel like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde..
6 days/week you are limiting total carb count and now you must force them down your throat, while limiting fat intake.

When you break it further down to 6 meals/day it becomes:
44/6 = 7,5 gram fats/meal
99/6 = 16,5 gram proteins/meal
Or when you prefer just to take proteins and fats in 3 out of 6 meals: 15 grams of fat and 33 grams of protein in these meals.
It is going to be a problem to not eat carbs in conjunction with fat: it means that I can forget about that ice-cream or that apple-pie!
But in each meal I need to force down 462/6=77 gram of carbs.

Well, it means that I can still eat winegums and licorice and all that candy! Or should it be boring stuff like rice and more rice with a fat-free sauce to make it palatable?

What's your idea about this meal plan?

Fietser
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

My Big Fat Greek Splat
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement