Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
One final question, in Indiana, I could claim the amount I paid for rent on my state taxes, Can I do the same in CA?

I don't remember any kind of renters' credit in California, but my sentence there was up in 1988, so my memory could be faulty or they could have changed the law. You'll find links to the state web sites at the IRS site and could check their forms and instructions.

I lived in CA for over 20 years, and although I wasn't of a tax-paying age for all of them, the ones where I was paying rent and taxes, I never heard of being able to deduct rent from your state taxes.

a little OT- I heard the other day that gas is around $2.05 for reg unl in CA. Its info. like that that makes me glad I don't live there anymore.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.