Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
One interesting thing I've noticed after reading these retirement boards for eighteen years is how different each of our retirement plans look. From how we do our investments to when and what our plans for retirement look like. Also we all have different levels of tolerance for risk so some of us hold out longer till we are very sure we won't end up living in a van down by the river.

A good friend of mine once said to me, "Art, responsibility rolls off you like water off a duck's back." I've always had kind of a Taoist approach to life even though I didn't know that was what I was doing. Going around obstacles instead of meeting them head on. Bending with the wind instead of standing up to it. I did the same thing with my retirement plan. Avoiding risk when I could and letting go when there was conflict between retirement and some dreams that I formerly entertained.

Sometimes things that sounded good when young aren't as big a priority now as they seemed when I was young. Like being a snowbird and living in Florida in the winter. Not only does that not appeal to my wife, now it sounds like more effort and work than it's worth. It's not like we have gotten any big snows in the 12 years we've lived here in Middle Tennessee and if we do get a big snow, since I'm retired, we can just hunker down and sit it out till it melts.

Art
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement