Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (102) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TwinDeltaTandem Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 196932  
Subject: One last word (for now) Date: 5/8/2001 8:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
I've been in this Mormon debate quite a bit lately. I've made the only points that I wanted to make. Mormons and Christians have a different view of God. It's up to individuals to decide which (if either) view is correct.

Mormons believe in at least 3 gods. I think it's fair and accurate to say that most Mormons believe in an infinite number of Gods (since gods live in the temporal realm, time had no beginning in Mormon cosmology, gods beget gods, therefore there must be an infinite number).

Christians believe in one God.

Mormons believe God is changing, presumably towards perfection. Mormons believe that God defines perfection; therefore, whatever God is today, that's perfection. Perfection changes over time.

Christians believe that God defines perfection also; however, we believe that God is immutable. If you accept an eternal God, you pretty much conclude that God is immutable. His holy perfection is an objective reality that never changes.

Mormons believe that there destiny is to become Gods. They will enjoy the afterlife populating their own planets, and exercising sovereignty over them. They will offer salvation to the bodies they place on their planets after having celestial offspring.

Christians believe that we are "creatures" made in the image of God. That our ultimate joy lies in worshipping our Creator. It is in perfected worship that we will enjoy eternity.

There are many more differences, but these are the ones that really stick out in my mind. Christianity and Mormonism are mutually exclusive, competing worldviews. Mormons are in full agreement with this assertion, insisting that the Bible and the Christian church have been fatally corrupted over the centuries. The Mormon scriptures serve the purpose of correcting the widespread misinterpretations of the traditional Bible.

Unfortunately, this central claim of Mormonism has some truth to it. Christians of the first 150+ years were on fire in their faith. They were committed to a degree that is rare today. They sold their possessions and gave the proceeds to the poor. They steered clear of political debates yet were persecuted to horrible deaths. They maintained their witness to the resurrected Christ to their last breath. And their example won converts at a rate never seen again, I guess.

The Mormon church is exemplary in many ways. Mormons tend to have very strong families that are committed to their church. They tithe. They devote years of their lives to spreading the Mormon gospel. They stick to their guns (for the most part) as far as their moral principles go. They are well-versed in apologetics and know us much better than we know them. Although they tend to be extremely elusive about their core beliefs, they are notably effective at convincing the mind that theirs is the true path. They put their best foot forward--their wholesome values--while downplaying those things about their religion that are radically inconsistent with orthodox Christianity. In short, they do what Christ said to do while believing something completely different. However, Christ and the apostles made it clear that we were to win souls to Christ by loving our neighbors. Mormons offer just this--love via a tight-knit community.

I feel challenged by Mormonism. I appreciate the difficulties of their claims, but am humbled by the Spirit at their success. I think it's shameful that any group would even be able to suggest that they walk the walk better than traditional Christians. However, Mormons can make just such a claim.

TDT
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (102) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement