No. of Recommendations: 1

I opened a Roth IRA several years ago, contributed for two years and then was shut out due to IRS limitations related to household income.

For all intents and purposes, this account just sits there with a mix of stock holdings and very little cash in it. I can't add any money to the account, so my only option for paying any related account fees is to sell some of the stock within the account.

This week I find out that the brokerage wants a $25 annual account fee, so this might be a good time to transfer this account elsewhere.

Since I don't expect to be doing any active trading for awhile, I was thinking of transferring this account to one of the banks where I have my checking or HELOC, where I am likely to get a reduced or waived account fee - granted the $25 account charge from the brokerage is nominal, but I was just trying to consider the best strategy for parking a dead account.

Thanks, MG
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement