Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6773  
Subject: One of the good guys Date: 8/18/2004 2:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
When your kids get jobs, sometimes you can shape their choice and sometimes you're just happy they got a job. With my kids, sometimes I've had the luxury of being a customer where they work before they've gotten a job(although in those cases, I was asked not to mention any connection when they were applying). Sometimes you just get lucky.

My older son started working in a bike store that eventually went under. He actually had 2 paychecks bounce although they were later paid. The next shop he went to was a store I was totally unfamiliar with. His best friend's mother had used it and suggested he apply there. This was the third summer he's worked there as a bike mechanic. It's independently owned by some very nice people. Over the 4th of July, about 7 people from the shop participated in a mountain bike race in Breckenridge. The owners have a condo nearby and hosted the whole group. This also included a boat's eye view of the fireworks over Lake Dillon. The owners also volunteer help for a charity tour and a midnight tour around the city. This means they pay the mechanics to provide service for anyone who needs it.

My son bought a rack for his car right before he went back to school. Yesterday we were in the shop for one last purchase(his father & I wanted odometers for our bikes.) The owner told my son he had something for him. The owner had made a mistake when calculating the rack price(this was a number of pieces) and had overcharged him. He handed him an envelope with the refund.

I like my son works in a place where people do the right thing - from the top down. We'll be customers there long after my son has moved on.

rad
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement