UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 56745  
Subject: Re: Retire Later Date: 5/26/2013 7:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
One of the problems with alternatives is that, at 10mpg, we don't generally want to drive many extra miles in the RV. We try to do extra miles at 23mpg with the toad. Also, tolls are another matter--they can be unreal for an RV w/toad ($60 crossing the GW bridge into NY, for example! Wonder what the Tappan Zee would've been.). Sometimes we have more time than others. Due to specific time frames for visiting DD & fam, we couldn't take our time.

We were heading from Boydton VA to North East MD--perhaps should've gone over the bridge by Annapolis--I'll try that next time as we love Maryland's eastern shore. DH has specific memories, both from helping a family fried move his boat from NY to FL and from the Annapolis-Newport sailboat race, and we both love little seaside towns. One of the reasons I wouldn't want to simply go RVing out west, as so many full-timers/near full-timers do. The coast of the eastern seaboard is awesome and we both grew up feeling a great affinity for it. Not to mention fresh seafood ;-)

I shouldn't have even mentioned the traffic around DC, 'twas nothing compared to that around NY! OTOH, we arrived a day early, but latish at our CG in westchester county, and they didn't bother charging us for the extra night :-)

We had an awesome time with the grands yesterday. Rowan clearly loves me and remembers me well. Adrienne sleeps almost all day, but I loved just holding her--6 days old! It's hard to believe Rowan was ever that tiny! We went to the playground and neighborhood farmers market and fixed roast chicken and potatoes and sautéed broccoli rabe fr dinner. For lunch we had vegan burritos, and DGS enjoyed taking bites ut of mine and my husbnd's between bites of pasta, veggies, and apple chunks and a few chunks if his father's tuna sandwich. It's hard to understand how he can be so slender despite such a huge appetite!

I brought him a yellow submarine lunchbox, shaped like a submarine, which I knew he'd love opening and closing (the kid loves latches of all kinds--future handyman in the making, I hope!)

Sunnier today, will take Rowan n a couple of outings, allowing DD & SIL to rest and bond with the new baby in peace. Rowan is lively even for a 29-month old! I wish we lived nearby...once again I dream of a NY apartment and RV trips as my preferred lifestyle.

For Sunday dinner, Cuban carnitas and mango cole slaw plus some other cooked vegetable, squash I think. And mortgage apple cupcakes. A Harlem resident sells them at the farmers market as her means of retiring her mortgage!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Reestablishing the Middle Class
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement