UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jtallenmd Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308643  
Subject: One Step Forward... Date: 7/4/2007 10:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
and at least one step backward.

First the step backward.

We found an Explorer that we liked. It fell within the budget range that we had set, but was close to the high end of the range. However taxes and registration pushed it over the $15K. We didn't have quite that much cash on hand.

My plan was to put it on an empty credit card and pay it off before the card cycled, avoiding interest. However, when I pulled out my cards, the dealer balked. They said that they would be charged back 2%, so would not let us use the cards.

We talked to them about financing the car. I think I threw the finance guy for a loop. He started talking about 3, 4, and 5 year financing. I asked about 6 or 12 month financing. He just shifted in his seat, gave us a weird look as if he were trying to figure out if I had really said what I had, and then he went back to talking about normal financing terms.

So we ended up financing the car. We were very up front about paying it off quickly and they told us that we could not pay it off within the first 90 days because that would trigger some consequences that I didn't really understand, but I figured it wasn't a big deal to wait until November to pay it off.

The good news is that the Capital One Card is now HISTORY!!!!!!!! Wooo hoooo!!!! We also have several thousand dollars that we can put towards IRAs or towards B of A. I haven't decided which, yet.

In other good news, I called USAA and had the interest rate on my Visa card reduced from 12.15% to 10%. Of course there isn't anything on the card so it really is a moot point. The one funny thing about the event was that DW was surprised that it was so simple. She was sitting near me when I made the call and afterwards she said, "You mean you just asked for a lower rate and they gave it to you?" Yes, indeed, it was that simple.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement