UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JABoa Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883895  
Subject: Re: Need Advice on LBMM & still Living!! Date: 3/20/2000 10:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
One thing I could suggest is that you do what I did and buy a harpsichord :) Of course you have to love baroque music and be modestly proficient on keyboard instruments, otherwise there would be no point.

What one school of thought on this board has sought to emphasize is that LBYM is not stinginess, it's about focusing your spending and understanding your personal goals.

<self-serving sanctimony>

For me, the harpsichord decision was pretty easy. I had the money, and I had been looking at kits for at least 10 years. But I am not handy, and trying to build one myself would have resulted in an expensive piece of useless junk. The decision at the time was harpsichord vs. new car, and the old car, while tired, still got me to work.

Needless to say, the old car started putting out white smoke and needing a quart of oil every 200 miles, about 4 months after the harpsichord was delivered.

So when it was all over, I had a harpsichord and a new Renault Alliance. That was right for me. Another person would have preferred no musical instrument and a BMW. That's fine too, but it wouldn't have been fine for me, because cars for me are just transportation and not an attempt to express my personality or to demonstrate my riches. The music, on the other hand, is very important, for now I can hear Bach and Scarlatti as they might have heard it themselves, just less competently played.

As for how you get to have enough disposable cash to make either sort of decision, the tips on the board can help -- some. Obviously, clipping coupons is not going to put you into a BMW anytime soon. But they might pay for a special birthday meal, or tickets for the children to see "The Lion King" if it goes on tour, stuff like that.

</self-serving sanctimony>
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement