Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
One thing I will say for my first few play sessions with Syberia: It makes me REALLY appreciate what a good game Back to the Future has managed to be so far.

Oh yes, I did mean to come back and expand on that statement again.

There are some valid criticisms you could level at the BTTF games, and I have done so: the acting is over-the-top, the story line is far fetched, and the goals are a little bit too neat and tidy to be believable. And it's probably a bit too easy for the hardcore gamer.

But by contrast to Syberia, I have to lavish praise on BTTF for how effectively the story and gameplay complement each other. The motivations of the characters make a great deal of sense, and the puzzles that you have to solve at any given times have a very clear relation to what you as a character should want to do in the plot. At no point in the four episodes can I remember accomplishing an action and then saying to myself "What on earth did I want to do that for?"

This isn't a guarantee in all Telltale games either. I've played all of Tales From Monkey Island and half of "Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People," and both of them have a fair number of confusing and pointless behavior. But nowhere near as bad as Syberia.
Print the post  

Announcements

TV Gaming Help?
Try the Help With This Home Theater board, and problem solved.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement