UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: lanshark Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308368  
Subject: Re: NEW MEMBER CONFESSION Date: 7/12/2005 3:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
One thing we both decided. We are not moving up in a house, just over. We don't want or need anything really expensive just because we "qualify", but there are things we want in the house that we don't have now.

Unless required by a job move, or a neighborhood that is quickly deteriorating, moving "over" makes no sense. It costs too much to repair the current house, pay a realtor, pay the taxes, and then to move, let alone closing costs on the NEW home.

However, I wanted to be open to my husband's idea and see them out. We do plan on buy another house eventually because this one was mine and now there are two of us and it's not "our" house and is small, we want a different neighborhood BUT, I want to wait until we're ready, no debt, and can afford what we want, not be forced.

This is all the more reason not to sell now. Keep the home you have. It won't be as easy, but you're maintaining your current equity and you're not going through the expense of a move.

I don't like interest-only mortgages (or option ARMS) but see their advantage for cash flow purposes. It's not preferred, but you do have to have somewhere to live, and otherwise you'd just be spending money on rent that buys you nothing anyway. If you could lock in at a decent rate for minimal closing costs, fine, but otherwise, since you're planning to move in a few years you might as well keep the loan you have.

- Lan
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement