UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RoadScholar5 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884901  
Subject: Online "Yard" Sales? Date: 11/1/2013 9:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
It's been many years since I've needed to buy household and clothing items in quantity, but I now have some extended family members who need a helping hand.

I no longer live in an area where there are yard sales.

Outside of eBay which I am familiar with - are there any other websites where people list gently used household items such as books, clothing, toys, etc.?

Suggestions?

Thank you, RS
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877700 of 884901
Subject: Re: Online "Yard" Sales? Date: 11/1/2013 9:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I know you asked about online- and aside from ebay - or maybe etsy I do not know

have you checked craigslist locally for moving sales/indoor flea markets?

Are there any thrift stores in your area?
In our area, along with the Big Names (Goodwill/Salvation Army), there are several in my area that are run by churches/libraries/other volunteer groups.

peace & pre-used
t

Author: KBecks Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877702 of 884901
Subject: Re: Online "Yard" Sales? Date: 11/1/2013 10:54 AM
Craigslist?

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877705 of 884901
Subject: Re: Online "Yard" Sales? Date: 11/1/2013 11:21 AM
Also check http://www.freecycle.org/ for groups in your area. Some groups overlap areas or are for neighboring towns, so there could be more than one that applies.

Laura

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877706 of 884901
Subject: Re: Online "Yard" Sales? Date: 11/1/2013 11:25 AM
As a person giving away stuff, I've given up on freecycle several years ago.

PSU

Author: snippee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877707 of 884901
Subject: Re: Online "Yard" Sales? Date: 11/1/2013 11:39 AM
Are you on Facebook? There are a lot of "Buy/Sell/Trade" groups in many areas. You can post ISO ("in search of") queries and if folks have it to sell, they'll respond, either with goods themselves or suggestions on where to find whatever it is you want.

And +1 on Craigslist and Freecycle, though both sites vary widely depending on where you are.

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877708 of 884901
Subject: Re: Online "Yard" Sales? Date: 11/1/2013 11:47 AM
As a person giving away stuff, I've given up on freecycle several years ago.

Success or failure of groups varies wildly from town to town, or region to region. I've had good results both giving away and receiving here in the Northeast.

Laura
YMMV, offer not valid in all states or on alternate Tuesdays if it rains

Author: RoadScholar5 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877709 of 884901
Subject: Re: Online "Yard" Sales? Date: 11/1/2013 12:10 PM
Oh, I had not thought of Craigslist, thank you…

also will check FB…

I live in an interesting area for secondhand. It seems the good stuff goes to consignment shops that charge as much as I can find it for on sale for at the end of the season.

For Goodwill and similar, I think you have to work there or go every day to catch stuff that's reasonably fashionable or even in good shape. There is huge demand due to the transience and other factors of this area.

I just learned from my daughter that there's one of these online swap groups in her neighborhood, but by invitation only - hmmm.

RS

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877714 of 884901
Subject: Re: Online "Yard" Sales? Date: 11/1/2013 12:36 PM
They aren't everywhere, but St. Vincent de Paul is another alternative to Goodwill or Salvation Army thrift shops:

http://www.svdpusa.org/AssistanceServices.aspx

Laur

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877717 of 884901
Subject: Re: Online "Yard" Sales? Date: 11/1/2013 1:01 PM
How about church yard/rummage sales?

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877718 of 884901
Subject: Re: Online "Yard" Sales? Date: 11/1/2013 1:01 PM
Depending on what household items are needed, maybe the Habitat for Humanity ReStores are another source:

http://www.habitat.org/restores
Habitat for Humanity ReStores are nonprofit home improvement stores and donation centers that sell new and gently used furniture, home accessories, building materials, and appliances to the public at a fraction of the retail price...

Laura

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877720 of 884901
Subject: Re: Online "Yard" Sales? Date: 11/1/2013 1:14 PM
You can also register your email address on "estatesales.net" to get local estatesales each week - many include pictures of what type of items they're selling and it's not just "expensive" homes that do estate sales.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement