UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 60200  
Subject: Re: Early retirements strain Social Security sys Date: 9/28/2009 3:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 86
Only problem, it doesn't.

Well, actually...

The Social Security fund has been running a surplus. A big surplus. A huge, unarguable surplus for the past 20 years.

Where has that surplus gone? Not into investments, or bonds, or even into a lockbox in Al Gore's basement.

No, it has gone to fund other things which the Federal Government has decided to buy, without wanting to raise taxes to pay for them. So instead of having interest paying bonds which would pay for this temporary shortfall, we have nothing.

Well, that's not true. We have aircraft carriers, star wars laser missle defense shields which don't work, nightvision goggles for all my friends, and super-duper troop carriers that can't carry troops in places like Afghanistan.

We spend more on "defense" than the rest of the world combined. That is, a country with 5% of the planet's population, oceanic defenses on two borders and generally unpatrolled borders with two friendly countries on the remaining two - finds it necessary to spend more than the other 95% of the world on war materiel, while complaining that we cannot give people who have paid into a retirement system their whole lives the check which they were promised.

This seems strange to some of us.
 
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

The Saddest Place on iPhone Day
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement