UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: werwoolf One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7822  
Subject: Re: LBYM possible in NY?? Date: 4/5/2001 6:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Ooo, I hate to post this. I'm currently living with DH in a co-op on the Yonkers side of Bronxville. Kids are years off, so I'm nervous about giving this little secret up now. ANYHOW...

Tuckahoe, home of outrageous co-ops, has good (if not huge) single-family houses for around -- sometimes even under -- 300K. Their school system is incredible and it's in the heart of Westchester. That means a low crime rate, a real "neighborhood" feel, and easy access to Metro North (the commuter rail). Tuckahoe to midtown is maybe 45 minutes. It makes me sick that I can't get a house there now!

Also recommended is Tarrytown. It's further up, but it's still Westchester--the schools aren't as good as Tuckahoe, but property taxes are probably a lot lower. It's also a little less "white bread" than lower Westchester, something to think about if you're concerned about your kids not being exposed to enough diversity in school.

Check out www.houlihanlawrence.com for listings; they change often.

As for non-housing related LBYM, I've found it EASIER to LBMM in New York. The key is resisting the temptation to take advantage of all the high-priced stuff. If you can do that, you'll find that this city is ripe with bargains. You'll get better clothes at deeper discounts here, for example. Your local Italian or Thai restaurant will offer great food for $12 a head. The markets in Chinatown have produce for cheaper than I've seen at any suburban supermarket, and the city flea markets will stun you with the odd combination of fabulous bargains and obvious rip-offs.

Good luck with your potential move!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement