Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: FuskieFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25313  
Subject: Open Enrollment Date: 11/4/2002 11:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
It's that time of year again, and my company is having us enroll in our 2003 benefits package. As usual, we are asked to lock ourselves into healthcare, disability, and retirement decisions months before our anticipated compensation increase. I'll spare you the healthcare and insurance questions except to say that I will have significant dental costs not covered by insurance, and have a chronic incurable disease that fortunately is not now expensive but can quickly become so.

With regard to retirement, I have 11 years into a 401K that I am confident will recover in the 25 years I have until I say enough to work. It is a good plan that has over 50 choices, some publi and others institutional. I also have a 4 yr old Roth that I have struggled to fully fund each year (more so now that I can put in $3K), and a taxable mutual fund account that has consistently underperformed.

So the question is do I change my 401K contribution to 20% or keeep it at 15%? My company matchs 1.5 of the first 4% (4% + 6% = 10%), and I make over $60K which means I will have to ration my contribution somewhat (but I have yet to find a table that shows me how). It is possible that due to my compensation level I may have to cut down from 15% instead of increasing my contribution.

Lots of data but an important decision. I have always put savings first, so the amount of money available for uninsured healthcare, Roth or taxable investing, or additional insurance is dependant on how much I leave myself to spend.

A couple of final details. I have an equity line that is 20% drawn, no credit card debt, 2.5 years left on an auto loan, and 23 years left on a 7.25% mortgage which I am considering refinancing into a 15 year program. I am single with no plans to chage that status in the near future, but enjoy investing in entertainment (<grin>).

So, please send some Foolish Thoughts my way.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement