Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: bwhiteclu Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19257  
Subject: Re: CFP's Date: 2/28/2000 6:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Open letter to:
jasmada
TheBadger

jasmada, I can identify with your style, and like BigLon, I was on your side of the fence for over 30 years. I said identify, not appreciate. One wonders if you were not raised in the house of a Southern Baptist minister. Convert, convert, convert and never take NO or an objective reason to decline your product as a final answer. I am amazed that you can be as successful as you claim to be, considering that you are as confrontational as you are, and that you have enough time to post 210 posts in less than 30 days. I am primarily a lurker who looks at people's ideas and thought processes to help me make decisions on my own. I note that many people who post to this board have made decisions, rational or irrational may they be, and you do yourself no credit in making hard-sell, confrontational, sarcastic and derisive replies. I agree with BigLon. You would have EVEN MORE success if you devoted some of your time to a Dale Carnegie course instead of getting in everybody's face who does not agree with you. Full disclosure--I was born and raised a Southern Baptist, although I no longer attend that church, and I sold insurance on commission for almost 40 years before recently retiring. BigLon, I didn't do as well as you--no 6 months in NZ, but hell, my wife does not like to fly anyway.

TheBadger, you are just about as confrontational and derisive as jasmada. Let me just say that you would have an ethical problem (which you did not disclose) as a CPA if you did taxes or audits or writeups on a contingency basis. Violation of ethics rules. If it were not a violation, and you had grown up in the business where that was acceptable, then you would probably have a different opinion about commissions. That does not mean you would not be honest and objective in all your dealings with a client. However, some wouldn't, so that's why they have the rules. We all have conflicts of interest, whether or not we are fee paid, commission paid or a combination thereof. The trick is to look past the conflict of interest and do the right thing for the client. To say that you would not do business with anyone who gets paid a commission is disingenuous to say the least, and I daresay that you pay somebody a commission every day. In defense of commissions, I must say that it is the most efficient way of doing business, as it rewards "labor" for effectiveness, and drives out those who are not effective. jasma, as abrasive as he is, over a long period of time can be the most effective of providers of long term care coverage, if he looks past the conflict of the commission and does the right thing for the client. The guy at the next desk might not be able to do that. You could be the best provider of tax and financial services advice on a fee-only basis that exists. Or, you could pad your hours, not perform work that you say you did, or assign the work to others who are inept and pocket the difference in the fee.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement