UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: mjuarez Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 14985  
Subject: Open-source consultant? Date: 7/28/2003 10:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've been thinking about this for a few weeks now, thought I might ask for tips around here.

I'm currently working as an IT consultant in Germany. The pay is very good, but the job is not permanent, and can be "laid-off" almost any day. I'm pretty savvy in open source software (Linux, BSD, MySQL, PHP, perl, etc, etc, etc), and I have a very heavy programming background. So I don't mind at all tinkering with software to make it work.

I'm planning to return to my country (Guatemala) in approximately 1 year. When that happens, I may look for a job, but it's not my idea to be a wage-slave for the next 40 years. So, since I'll have a comfortable cash cushion to support me for some time, I've though of a consultancy business to give local support for companies using open source software. The idea would be "You can use MySQL, Linux, PostgreSQL, whatever, on your company, and we will give you local support". Companies are starting to dip their toes into trying out open source, but managers become freaked out when they find out there is no local support. Well, I believe I could give that local support.

Do you think this is too far-fetched? Maybe I'm not taking something into account? What would be things I need to think about before getting myself into this?

Thanks.

Marcos
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement