No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey everyone!

My mom is awful with money. She's close to 50 years of age, does not own her home (divorced several years ago and agreed to let dad have the house), has thousands of $$ in CC debt, and does not have a retirement account. (Also, I don't think she has health insurance, but that's another problem).

I wanna start a ROTH IRA account for her. Is that possible? I know you can start a custodial account for a minor, but can you do that for your mom? I don't want her to be able to borrow against it, but I want her to have a tax-advantaged account.

Any help would be appreciated.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.