Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: BrianSChilton One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 196443  
Subject: Opening Greetings To Fellow Christian Investors Date: 5/21/1999 8:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
The Fool graciously has granted my request to create a meeting place for Christian investors. My hope is that others who profess a belief in Christ as Savior will gather here to discuss the creation and use of wealth according to the Bible. The Bible is full of teachings on the topic of how to accumulate and use wealth in a way that honors God, which is in keeping with the Motley Fool's understanding that investing has a moral component. I look forward to learning more about this from other Fools.

Understanding that in today's culture the term "Christian" evokes a variety of responses, and hoping to avoid lengthy debates focused on theology rather than investing, the following definition (with supporting scripture, so that you know this is something more than my own musings) of "Christian" is the one I used in proposing this Board to The Motley Fool:

(i) someone who recognizes that they are a sinner: "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23;

(ii) someone who recognizes that because of that sin, absent salvation through belief in and acceptance of Christ as savior, they will be separated from God for eternity: "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 6:23;

(iii) someone who confesses their sin to God and repents in order to receive forgiveness: "But unless you repent you will all likewise perish." Luke 13:3, and "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9; and

(iv) someone who believes in salvation through Christ's sacrifice on the cross: "Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures," 1 Corinthians 15:3-4, and "If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." Romans 10:9.

The above scriptural references defining the fundamentals of Christianity cut across denominational differences, and across boundaries between Protestants and Catholics, so that all who believe in the above can call themselves Christians. I hope all will participate, and start an active dialogue on the Bible's teachings about money.

I would like to kick off the investment discussion with the following scripture: "His master replied, 'I will judge you by your own words, you wicked servant! You knew, did you, that I am a hard man, taking out what I did not put in, and reaping what I did not sow? Why then didn't you put my money on deposit, so that when I came back, I could have collected it with interest?' Then he said to those standing by, 'Take his mina away from him and give it to the one who has ten minas.' 'Sir,' they said, 'he already has ten!' He replied, 'I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what he has will be taken away.'" Luke 19:22-26 (NIV).

Does this mean God is a Bull? (I ask this somewhat tongue in cheek, recognizing that Jesus was discussing use of gifts other than money here as well).

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement