Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: bigcaat Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 78  
Subject: Opening sequences Date: 6/21/2004 12:07 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Last week, when they had the guy on acid jump off the building, I was thinking, "Are they really going to go down this over-done road? I hope they haven't lost a step on the creative ways they have people die."

My concerns were put to bed tonight. What a great "rapture" opening.

Caat
Print the post Back To Top
Author: HuffyLilPoon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24 of 78
Subject: Re: Opening sequences Date: 6/21/2004 10:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!

I was running late and missed the opener. Mind re-capping?

Other thoughts: David's now second only to Claire as the character I love to watch most.

Nate is still a monumentally self-absorbed @sshat. Thank God he quit Fisher & Diaz, because David was ready to kill him. I thought he was already as pompous as could be, but telling the husband how to grieve was really a pinnacle of arrogance.

Speaking of self-absorbed @sshats, Ruth's new hubby is not quite taking the kids' POV into account with his new "be stepdad of the year" initiative. I've noticed that he doesn't seem to be trying quite so hard with David, FWIW.

Arthur is a freak. I'm not entirely sure why he's there most of the time.

I really like Brenda with Joe, but I'm wondering if she's going to find a way to muck things up. She seemed a little compulsive about it when she finally did sleep with him.

Rico and the stripper-I continue to think this is a misstep for the director. Though it's shaping up to be a misstep for Rico-I'll be interested to see how it plays out when/if he finally lays down the law with her. Interesting dynamic that he's paying and hanging out, yet not sleeping with her.

Claire snapping pictures as David tried to mop up-priceless.

HLP

Author: WasPokey Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25 of 78
Subject: Re: Opening sequences Date: 6/21/2004 11:30 AM

I was running late and missed the opener. Mind re-capping? Woman mistakes sex dolls filled with helium for angels ascending to heaven and runs into traffic. Pretty good.

Other thoughts: David's now second only to Claire as the character I love to watch most. LOVE DAVID! I got a blow-job today...from a plumber.

Speaking of self-absorbed @sshats, Ruth's new hubby is not quite taking the kids' POV into account with his new "be stepdad of the year" initiative. I've noticed that he doesn't seem to be trying quite so hard with David, FWIW.

Arthur used to be funny, now he just creeps me out. They alluded to the fact that he wasn't much help as a funeral director, so why keep him around? He definitely sent the crap in a box.

I really like Brenda with Joe, but I'm wondering if she's going to find a way to muck things up. She seemed a little compulsive about it when she finally did sleep with him. Too perfect, that relationship. I hope Billy comes back and mucks it up.

Rico and the stripper-I continue to think this is a misstep for the director. Though it's shaping up to be a misstep for Rico-I'll be interested to see how it plays out when/if he finally lays down the law with her. Interesting dynamic that he's paying and hanging out, yet not sleeping with her. I hate this storyline! Why is he buying her DVD players and crap? I hate that Vanessa is really trying now, and he's the one who's blowing it. He gets my vote for this season's basket case.

Claire snapping pictures as David tried to mop up-priceless. I loved that too. Especially when her stepdad got the "present" and she said "Don't throw it away until I get my camera!"

Author: bigcaat Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28 of 78
Subject: Re: Opening sequences Date: 6/21/2004 11:40 AM

SPOILER ALERT........

Two men were driving down the road with a load of helium filled naked blow-up dolls for some convention or something. They swerved to miss a kid on a skateboard and the netting on the truck broke and the dolls started floating up into the air.

CUT TO: A woman driving a car with a "I brake for the Rapture" bumper sticker on it. She's listening to religious radio. All of a sudden she sees a gaggle of bodies floating upward from behind a building. When they show her point of view, she sees them as angelic in flowing white garb. She screeches her car to a halt and runs out into traffic, throwing her hands up into the air. She gets hit by a car.

Caat

Author: DBAVelvet74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29 of 78
Subject: Re: Opening sequences Date: 6/21/2004 11:40 AM

Basically it was this story...
http://www.snopes.com/religion/rapture.htm
except she opened the door and ran into traffic rather than going through the sunroof.

Author: bigcaat Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31 of 78
Subject: Re: Opening sequences Date: 6/21/2004 11:51 AM
Other thoughts: David's now second only to Claire as the character I love to watch most.

I like David's relationship with Keith. I wish they hadn't have thrown him off the force. I liked the dynamic of him being a cop. -- I like Claire too. I'm glad they had her break up with the geek.

Nate is still a monumentally self-absorbed @sshat. Thank God he quit Fisher & Diaz, because David was ready to kill him. I thought he was already as pompous as could be, but telling the husband how to grieve was really a pinnacle of arrogance.

I wonder if him quitting is going to be for good, and if so, what else they're going to have him do and where they will have him live. That was soooo annoying telling the husband how to grieve, but thinking back to the very early episodes, it was completely in his character. They're really going to have to do something with him to make him more compassionate again. A character can't survive when the audience hates everything about him.

They are setting up some very interesting things with this guy. The fact that last week they established that Ruth had never met his family and that he wasn't in touch with them much really opened a lot of doors. I feel there's something really freaky that's going to go on with that.

I agree. What a waste of screen space. I don't get his existence there unless they're going to roll him into a storyline with the new husband.

I really like Brenda with Joe, but I'm wondering if she's going to find a way to muck things up. She seemed a little compulsive about it when she finally did sleep with him.

I didn't get why they're moving time along so quickly. I think they said 3 months early on in the show. But I'm wondering if Joe knows about Brenda sleeping with Nate. I think he's going to find that out and there will be trouble.

Rico and the stripper-I continue to think this is a misstep for the director. Though it's shaping up to be a misstep for Rico-I'll be interested to see how it plays out when/if he finally lays down the law with her. Interesting dynamic that he's paying and hanging out, yet not sleeping with her.

Not getting this storyline at all. But I'm glad they're going with an affair over him being 'interested in picking up hookers." I find the whole "demand" thing from her an interesting twist.

Claire snapping pictures as David tried to mop up-priceless.

Glad they're getting her back into her art. Opens up some interesting possibilities.

Caat

Author: bigcaat Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32 of 78
Subject: Re: Opening sequences Date: 6/21/2004 11:53 AM
Basically it was this story...

LOL. I wonder if that's how they get some of their openings, by finding things on the internet.

Caat

Author: ilovepez Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 33 of 78
Subject: Re: Opening sequences Date: 6/21/2004 1:13 PM
I didn't get why they're moving time along so quickly. I think they said 3 months early on in the show. But I'm wondering if Joe knows about Brenda sleeping with Nate. I think he's going to find that out and there will be trouble.

I was wondering about this also, but I think its due to continuity issues. Last week was really a follow-up to the previous season finale. I noticed that they took extra effort to mention Maya but not show her. If she was in the scene, she was completely swaddled up. I would imagine it was very noticable how much she grew from one episode to the next.

Also, most new seasons start some time after the previous season. Since the first episode was like a follow-up to the previous seasons finale, this episode is more like the season premier (at least in my mind).

pez

Author: swimdad Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34 of 78
Subject: Re: Opening sequences Date: 6/21/2004 1:59 PM
David mentioned to Nate that it had only been three months since his wife died.

swimdad

P.S. Plus, that nasty cut on his nose was completely healed.

Author: MargaretHoulihan Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35 of 78
Subject: Re: Opening sequences Date: 6/21/2004 2:03 PM
As far as new storyline arcs, I'm liking Keith's new job as a security guard to the stars. Could make for some interesting guest spots and situations. I loved it when Keith tried to sound like one of the guys and said he'd "Definitely tap that." Mena Suvari could be an interesting addition to the season, providing impetus for Claire's art to take off. This show really needs to get back to what made it good in the first place. Originality. Is it possible to get back to originality?

Margaret

Author: HuffyLilPoon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36 of 78
Subject: Re: Opening sequences Date: 6/22/2004 11:23 AM
Recommendations: 1
I caught a scene on second viewing that I missed the first time around: the scene where Nate ignores the crying son in his front yard on his way to the park. After lecturing the dad about how to grieve. I know that he quit the job, but seriously, how much of a self-obsessed jerk must you be to do such a thing?

What an @SSHAT.

HLP

Author: QAwoman Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37 of 78
Subject: Re: Opening sequences Date: 6/22/2004 1:23 PM
Recommendations: 2
I noticed that right off - but what did you expect him to do? My take was a little different - he noticed that the son was 'properly' grieving and left him alone with it. Yes, he had other things to do, other places to go. I certainly didn't think less of him for it.

I think some on this board are just a little too intolerant of this character. I must say I don't hate him as much as some of you seem to do. Actually, I rather like Nate, and I don't see him as a self-absorbed @asshat (to borrow a term). I simply see him as a person who's been forced and/or manipulated into doing something that he knew he didn't want to do, and has finally said ENOUGH! (After 3 seasons, no less!).

The character that I don't care for is Brenda - talk about self-absorption! That woman is poison, and will destroy any relationship in which she participates.

JMHO,
QAwoman

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement