UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Ron Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 344  
Subject: Opinions wanted Date: 9/27/2004 6:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm not much of a poster around here but I find myself in need of some advice. It looks like I'm going to have to learn enough webmastering to at least update our internal web page at work. I've edited some html files to make some basic changes but I need something more. Is FrontPage a good candidate for this or are there other web development packages out there that might be better for what I need?

Any help appreciated.

Ron
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 330 of 344
Subject: Re: Opinions wanted Date: 9/27/2004 6:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
FrontPage is designed to work with IIS and provides a WYSIWYG interface as well as code entering ability. Dreamweaver is also a very popular web design tool.

Fuskie
Who has only used FrontPage himself...

Author: ShelbyBoy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 331 of 344
Subject: Re: Opinions wanted Date: 9/27/2004 8:52 PM
...I've edited some html files to make some basic changes but I need something more...

Ron,

Could you expand on what it is you want to accomplish?

FrontPage publishing requires FrontPage extensions to be installed on the host server. Is that possible on your internal site?

ShelbyBoy

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 332 of 344
Subject: Re: Opinions wanted Date: 9/27/2004 10:37 PM
Hey Ron,

Depending on how much time you spend learning the program, you can create a simple text based web site, like I have with mine;

www.WilliamAFord.com

Or you can create something fancier;

http://www.solution-shelf.com/index.asp

http://www.at-frontpage.com/

http://frontpagehowto.com/

I have those and a few more listed on my web site;

http://www.williamaford.com/FrontPage.php

If you're going to spend a significant amount of time learning FP, you might as well learn some HTML, CSS, PHP, and more;

http://www.williamaford.com/WebHelp.php

If you'd like to try something similar to FP that's free, and probably just as good, try 1stPage2000;

http://www.evrsoft.com/

HTH

ßillƒ

P.S. We also have the Webmaster's Corner here at TMF;

http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=115200

e-mailed and posted

Author: Ron Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 333 of 344
Subject: Re: Opinions wanted Date: 9/27/2004 10:59 PM
FrontPage is designed to work with IIS

Dang, I don't even know what IIS is!?

Should I just tell my boss I'm too stupid to understand the increcible crap that he has let temps put together?

(sigh)
Ron

Author: Ron Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 334 of 344
Subject: Re: Opinions wanted Date: 9/27/2004 11:10 PM
Hey ShelbyBoy,

Could you expand on what it is you want to accomplish?

FrontPage publishing requires FrontPage extensions to be installed on the host server. Is that possible on your internal site?

I have a web site that has been built piece-meal. (keep in mind i don't know a whole lot about this.) Some of the pages seem to be residing on a unix server running apache that i can access (about 30%). The remainder seem to reside on a NT server that I have no idea how it works.

Don't ask me why, I have no idea. I've worked here for 8 years and I had no idea such stupidiy was allowed to flower.

Now I have to fix it. My suggestion is to backup everything and recreate from scratch. My boss tells me no.

That is what I need to accomplish.

Ron

Author: Ron Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 335 of 344
Subject: Re: Opinions wanted Date: 9/27/2004 11:17 PM
Depending on how much time you spend learning the program, you can create a simple text based web site, like I have with mine;

Trust me Billf, I've been a fan of yours for a long time. I learned how to fiddle the html on this site by reading your suggestions here and elsewhere.

The folks who put this thing together (that I now have to fix) are not around any more.

Ron
I've had you page bookmarked for a long time :-)

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 336 of 344
Subject: Re: Opinions wanted Date: 9/27/2004 11:42 PM
Hey Ron,

I have a web site that has been built piece-meal.

That figures.

Some of the pages seem to be residing on a unix server running apache that i can access (about 30%). The remainder seem to reside on a NT server that I have no idea how it works.

Oww! Yuck! Crap!

Is there any way you can try to Copy & Paste the various pages into one program (such as FP or 1stPage2000)? It should all be together on one web server, as it seems you already know.

My suggestion is to backup everything and recreate from scratch. My boss tells me no.

Well, if you need help convincing him that you're dealing with a serious mess that could easily take 3, 4, or more times the length of time required instead of starting from scratch, copy these messages and show them to him. I would not want to repair a web site like this myself...I'd much rather start over.

Is it possible that we can see the site to give you advice about what might or might not be fixable?

ßillƒ

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 337 of 344
Subject: Re: Opinions wanted Date: 9/27/2004 11:47 PM
Hey Ron,

Trust me Billf, I've been a fan of yours for a long time.

Ahhh...thhppp...stop it! LOL. Seriously though, thank you for the kind words, but compared to the other webmasters around here, I make instant chocolate pudding compared to their making chocolate mousse. <bg>

I learned how to fiddle the html on this site by reading your suggestions here and elsewhere.

And I have to pass credit off to the regulars on the Webmaster's Corner as they've taught me a lot about web site creation and more...and I still have a long ways to go.

ßillƒ

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 338 of 344
Subject: Re: Opinions wanted Date: 9/28/2004 12:45 AM

While certain components like themes and shared borders may require FP extensions, general web pages (fonts, tables, frames, etc) do not. FrontPage can certainly handle these design functions without frontpage extensions on the web server.

Fuskie
Who admits he hasn't really used anything else...

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 339 of 344
Subject: Re: Opinions wanted Date: 9/28/2004 12:50 AM
Hey Fuskie,

While certain components like themes and shared borders may require FP extensions, general web pages (fonts, tables, frames, etc) do not. FrontPage can certainly handle these design functions without frontpage extensions on the web server.

Good point. When the Webmaster's started helping me with PHP, I realized that I could create the background and such without using Themes and Shared Borders.

Hmmm...silly me. I just went and looked just to be sure and realized that even though I used a Theme for creating a CSS page, I left the CSS page in the Theme folder, LOL. Guess I should probably move that.

ßillƒ

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 340 of 344
Subject: Re: Opinions wanted Date: 9/28/2004 12:56 AM
IIS is the Microsoft Internet Information Server, a web server that works with FrontPage to provide proprietary features beyond basic HTML. It is basically the Microsoft solution to web publishing.

Fuskie
Who is frequently confused by the incredible crap that temps speak...

Author: Ron Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 341 of 344
Subject: Re: Opinions wanted Date: 9/28/2004 11:29 AM
Is it possible that we can see the site to give you advice about what might or might not be fixable?

Unfortunately, no. It's a internal site that's behind the corporate firewall. :-(

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 342 of 344
Subject: Re: Opinions wanted Date: 9/28/2004 11:54 AM
Hey Ron,

Unfortunately, no. It's a internal site that's behind the corporate firewall. :-(

Bummer.

ßillƒ

Author: Ron Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 343 of 344
Subject: Re: Opinions wanted Date: 10/1/2004 9:18 PM
Thanks for all the help and advice folks. I took what I learned here and suggested to the powers that be that our web site should be consolidated on a single server and all updating should be done with a single piece of software, Front Page. Heh. They told me to make it happen. I do appreciate the help and info.

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 344 of 344
Subject: Re: Opinions wanted Date: 10/2/2004 12:44 AM
Thanks for all the help and advice folks. I took what I learned here and suggested to the powers that be that our web site should be consolidated on a single server and all updating should be done with a single piece of software, Front Page. Heh. They told me to make it happen. I do appreciate the help and info.

Now you are in for it.

Fuskie
Who thinks the scariest part about proposing a course of action to upper management is having to follow up with execution...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement