Google Drive.

Yep did not think of that.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Option 4:
Google Drive.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking about: Using cloud storage for backup? Or general storage?

As fast as my broadband may or may not be, it's not going to be as fast as local storage. Given the cost as well as the slow speed, relatively, I'm not going to spend lots of $$$ to move my multiple TB stored at home onto the cloud. And if I were to spend less $$ to store only a part of my local data, then I'd have to set up some sort of organization scheme for what goes where. My current scheme mostly pre-dates most cloud storage, and I'm disinclined to go through the hassle of rearranging things (especially if -- as has happened in the past -- Apple may decide to change or even discontinue its offerings, e.g. like the free iDisk).

My main use for the free components of iCloud Drive and DropBox is to store the occasional file that I might need to access while on travel, but even then, it's a backup to what's on my travel MBP. Also, those important files (e.g. presentations) are often duplicated on USB flash drives (for transferring to the conference computers).

As for backup, I've already mentioned using Crashplan, migrating to Backblaze. Although online, I don't consider them "cloud" storage in the sense that I would intend to access such files from just anywhere. They're just "there" as a redundant backup, taking backseat to my local backups. Access is almost entirely one way, and restoring will hopefully never have to happen.

So, given the options you mentioned, I'd go with a larger SSD (and still have at least two backups).

-awlabrador
No. of Recommendations: 0
Option 4:
Google Drive.

Yep did not think of that.
Advertisement