Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I'm thinking of exercising some of my stock options (type: ISO).

The option price is about $5 and the current market value is $15.
Say, I want to exercise 1000 shares and hold the stock for awhile.
So, there will be taxable $10,000 cap gain.

If I have lost $5,000 in stock xxxx, can the loss offset the gain from the option so that the total cap gain becomes $5,000 ?

The company is a private company now and is going to IPO very soon.

TIA, Walter.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.