Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
A couple of years ago, I was given some options, non-qualified I believe it is called. The
stock at the time was $19 and is currently around $30. When I buy the stock, I will have
to pay taxes on the difference between the $19 and the $30.
a. Are the taxes I pay income or capital gains? Is there any way to pay 20% instead
of 28%?
b. After the stock is bought and the taxes are paid will the $30 price be my new
base price?
c. Will I then have to wait 18 months and a day to sell the stock and pay 20%
capital gains?

If this has already been discussed, just point me to the relevant message.

Thanks for your time and attention.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.