Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: naygoo Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 890  
Subject: organic baby products Date: 3/10/2008 12:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
DW and I are expecting our first child in a couple of months, and there are times when this whole "caring for a helpless new life" thing becomes a little worrisome. For example, I only learned within the past year or so that the "stuff" (sodium polyacrylate) in disposable diapers that makes them super-absorbant has been banned from feminine hygiene products due to a link with toxic shock, and that the list of ingredients also includes dioxins and other toxic goodies (http://www.thediaperhyena.com/diaper_drama_scene3_health.htm). Also, I recently read there are some wonderful ingredients in most shampoos, soaps, lotions, etc. called phthalates that have recently been shown to be absorbed and processed by babies bodies (http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSCOL45600320080204) - which may or may do something bad to them - but obviously aren't meant to be included in part of a balanced diet (and isn't required labeling on the part of the manufacturer).

We just stocked up on our first set of cloth diapers (Bum Genius, Swaddlebees, and some other very modern innovations in cloth diaper technology) and Burt's Bees baby care products, and I'm currently at ease about these issues, but what the hell else is out there? It's a war!

What baby-specific products are you all using?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement