Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFLomax Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2406  
Subject: Organic food recycled "news" Date: 9/4/2012 10:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
http://healthland.time.com/2012/09/04/is-organic-food-more-n...

This "news" crops up every couple years and it drives me kinda nuts. The whole point is wanting less exposure to chemicals and pesticides, less exposure to genetically modified organisms, more traditional growing practices, less factory farming. Sheesh.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: gdett2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1049 of 2406
Subject: Re: Organic food recycled "news" Date: 9/4/2012 1:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Alyce,

I just watched the local noon news and they had a piece on this. As I write this, CNBC is going to have a bit on it.

Normally, the health aspects are what is pushed by the sellers and the media so you get articles like this that play to the end.

Gene

Author: TMFLomax Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1051 of 2406
Subject: Re: Organic food recycled "news" Date: 9/4/2012 2:07 PM
Wow, Gene... it's popping up everywhere! Truth is I guess people can't resist headlines like those and there's probably a lot of misinformation out there.

That's true that I guess that is the aspect that gets marketed the most but I guess is the most misunderstood. It's not like a strawberry is no longer a strawberry when it comes to nutritional value. Unless of course it's been genetically modified and has some fish genes, perhaps. ;)

Author: gdett2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1053 of 2406
Subject: Re: Organic food recycled "news" Date: 9/4/2012 3:27 PM
Alyce,

and has some fish genes, perhaps

If they are native species, fish is correct. If they themselves are modified, ghoti might be more correct. ;-)

Gene

Author: Mark2Market One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1056 of 2406
Subject: Re: Organic food recycled "news" Date: 9/5/2012 2:25 PM
Recommendations: 1
I haven't read the actual report. However, none of the articles discussing the report mention either carbon footprint or GMOs. None. That is strange.

Consumers who bought into organics due to the "misinformation" about the higher nutritional value of organic produce may re-think their future purchases. Those who bought into organics to be part of the popular culture - "Could you ask the chef if the microgreens and heirloom red quinoa in this salad are organic?" - may re-think their support, especially if they aren't well-heeled. And finally, how about those folks whose purchase of organic produce flies in the face of their non-sustainable practices - Bellevue, WA WFM customers who shop in their Ferraris and Lamborghinis, for example.

I've known for some time that organic produce contains pesticides. At first, I was dismayed. However, I eventually saw the bigger picture: 1) Earth is a sealed ecosystem - we are all affected by each others' actions and 2) The more farmers we inspire to transition from conventional to organic, the faster we can stop the pollution of our ecosystem.

Those who believe that buying organics goes beyond self-interest will continue to support organics. We believe that we didn't inherit Earth from our parents, but that we are borrowing her from our children - a vision held by the First Nations.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement