UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Rael137 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 49497  
Subject: organizing business cards? Date: 7/27/2012 4:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have dozens of business cards that I'd like to organize better. They have completely overflowed the card box. There are cards from colleagues, vendors, etc.

I have some of those transparent binder sheets with pockets but the sheer number of cards creates a dilemma for how to organize them: by name, by company, by specialty/product, chronologically, etc. Or I could check out a scanning program. Or something else.

Anybody have a method that you use?

I'll also post this to the Get Organized board.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48923 of 49497
Subject: Re: organizing business cards? Date: 7/27/2012 5:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
If you scan them into a database, then you can sort them multiple ways--by whatever methods you want.

It can work to have separate card boxes for different subjects: personal, business, etc. Business can be grouped into vendors, associates, association members, etc. Or simply file them by company name and then sort them occasionally to delete the out of date or no longer of interest contacts. Of course, a backup file of old contacts can come in handy if you need references or go networking for a job.

Author: mmrmnhrm Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48924 of 49497
Subject: Re: organizing business cards? Date: 7/27/2012 10:02 PM
Recommendations: 1
I use a Rolodex with plastic sleeves that allow me to add, remove, or rearrange cards as my methods change. Going with a plastic binder sheet would be a real PITA. Secondly, I (currently) arrange my cards by company, rather than by the person's name. While *I* know who to call in an emergency, if I'm off-site it's easier to tell someone "Call the number for _____ vendor" rather than fishing my memory for someone's last name.

Author: agg97 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48925 of 49497
Subject: Re: organizing business cards? Date: 7/29/2012 10:25 PM
Recommendations: 4
Anybody have a method that you use?

I organize my contacts in Outlook. To input them, I use an app on my iPhone called CardMunch (an extension of LinkedIn). I simply take a picture of the business card, it will send it to their text-recognizing service, and in a few minutes to a few days, will send back the information digitally. I have it sync'd with both my iPhone contacts and my Outlook contacts. For the most part, it works pretty well. Maybe 10% of the cards, I have to re-enter some information.

-Agg97

Author: Maraith Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48926 of 49497
Subject: Re: organizing business cards? Date: 7/30/2012 11:22 AM
Not exactly on point, but I took my binder filled with business cards and hired someone through eLance.com. He took my binder and put the cards into digital format and sent them back to me so I could enter them into my computer's address book. Then I organized them into groups such as potential clients, clients, colleagues, Chamber of Commerce, etc.

Oh..he also sent out a mailing to the list to see if the emails were all still good. At least a third were not and it was great that he tested this for me beforehand.

Author: mmrmnhrm Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48927 of 49497
Subject: Re: organizing business cards? Date: 7/30/2012 11:37 AM
Recommendations: 1
Oh..he also sent out a mailing to the list to see if the emails were all still good. At least a third were not and it was great that he tested this for me beforehand.

How many were actually "not good" versus trapped by a spam filter?

Author: Maraith Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48929 of 49497
Subject: Re: organizing business cards? Date: 7/31/2012 2:47 PM
How many were actually "not good" versus trapped by a spam filter?

Good question. He just took off those that bounced back as undeliverable. And, frankly, I was happy to reduce the number of contacts. I went through the deleted ones to be sure they were not people I wanted to retain on the list. If they were, I tried to contact them directly. But there were very few like that.

Probably you can tell my list contained some pretty OLD contacts!

Author: Rael137 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48931 of 49497
Subject: Re: organizing business cards? Date: 7/31/2012 7:58 PM
Probably you can tell my list contained some pretty OLD contacts!

Really OLD contacts are from cards without email addresses. :)

Thanks for the ideas on organizing the cards.

Author: HOGridin Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49493 of 49497
Subject: Re: organizing business cards? Date: 12/19/2014 6:10 PM
I use a 3-ring binder with an alphabetized insert divider pack and then as many untabbed hard paper with reinforced holes as needed. "S" gets a lot more cards than "Z" & "Q".

I then tape along the top edge of the cards I install so I can flip to the back since often I have noted things like annunciation of the name, date & project I met the person on.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement